Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

This traing has taught me that you should always be prepared for class and have a positive attitude, show epathy to your students, write daily objectives on the board. It is very important to build individul relationships with your students, tell them personal stories about yourself realated to the subject you are teaching. Leaders lead with love.

I agree with the quote "Purposeful Prior Planning Prevents Poor Performance".  Lessons plans need to always be engaging to keep students active.

As teachers, we know what students should be asking. Rather than wait for them to ask us, we should ask them the key questions. A structured set of review and application questions, prepared in advance, works well in most cases. These questions can form the basis of the review at the beginning of the next class meeting. They also may be the starting point for quizzes and tests on the material.

We got to communicate with students right away to make them feel comfortable and motivate them so they are not discouraged. 

It is important not only to have content that keeps students engaged but also to provide an interesting beginning and end to class. Interesting beginnings motivate students to show up on time and interesting endings motivate students to not leave early'

I learned about the guided discussions are much more effective or useful active learning than reading off of a Powerpoint lecture.  This is also a good reminder that life happens in the middle, so being a supportive instructor by not putting on a deadline per say will yield a better learning.

Sometimes it is important to tailor the lesson with how the students are feeling.

Setting up lectures to be interactive to get students engaged in the subject or topic at hand.

Have positive attitude to help students are ach day

Engagement, empathy, motivation, and positive attitude.

The information about the three step method was very interesting. It was straight forward - tell what is going to be told, tell what needs to be told, and tell what was told. I think this will help me in planning my weekly lesson plans.

I already start class with the objectives for that day posted on the board.  I also start with an engaging activity at the start to reward students for being to class on time.  I need to focus more on the finish to my lessons.  Because students are typically working independently at the end of my class, they may be at different points in the lesson.  Maybe because of this, I haven't been completing class with a formal debrief, highlighting what we have learned for the day.  Also, I like to encourage students that struggle to stay longer than those that don't to allow for time at the end of class for struggling students to seek help without an audience.  I can achieve both however.  I can sum up the lesson formally, while still allowing for students that need extra help to stay after.

I will take the time to answer lab review questions with the class instead of them completing it on their own. a debriefing at the end of lab 

I always appreciate new ideas for classroom interaction. I find it difficult to do activities due to the volume of information and the difficulty for students if I don’t cover most everything. It was good to be validated that using questioning techniques throughout lecture is an activity that helps with retention. I have had classroom observations in the past that do not acknowledge this. 

Beginning the class meeting by "checking in" each student. Using sentence stems and engaging students with energy and positivity. Followed by closing the end of the class meeting on an upbeat note also.

I make sure to start off each semester with an ice breaker with them introducing themselves and something they like so everyone gets to know one another and I learn their names much faster that way.  The students seem to be suprised when I call them by name and they are much happier participating and coming to class knowing they are seen/heard/appreciated. 

I loved the opening activity examples.  I often struggle with coming up with a good fun but relevant intro.  I also love the emphasis that a lesson doesn't necessarily have to be old school 90 minute lecture format to be effective.  I love that a discussion is also labeled as a form of instruction.  It's hard for those of us who grew up on those lectures to wrap our head around that sometime. 

I prefer to start the course with a welcome to my class introduction about myself. Setting the tone of what is expected and required to be successful.

I don't know that I learned something new, but I did rediscover truths about teaching that I've probably let sit dormant. 1. Link what you're teaching (which for me is English) to the real world and how it will be a useful tool. 2. Don't over lecture. 20-25 mins is enough. Switch gears. 3. Have a memorable closing.  

In the past I have engaged students at the start of class but usually by asking questions. This unit taught me to use other ways to engage students. 

Sign In to comment