Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Flipped Classroom Advantages and Barriers | Origin: ED124

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Flipping Your Classroom --> Flipped Classroom Advantages and Barriers

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

Student motivation may also be a barrier  to effective flipped calssroom. I will implement in the clinical setting , hear it ( lecture and giving resources to do a procedure example ATI videos ) , DO IT- performing in the clinical setting and Teach it ( peer teaching ). 

See it, do it, teach it!

Recap on Bloom's Taxonomy.

The Blooms Taxonomy is important, It can ensure the students undestands the content and apply it to problem solving be it in the classroom or the cliical setting

From this module I have learned that the barriers will be what keeps the flipped classroom from reaching its full potential. The biggest barrier is making sure that I as the teacher understand the true concept and can explain it in a way that the students understand that I am not giving them additional work but giving them their work in a different way so that it can be learned in a more engaging way. Another barrier is that I need to make sure I know how to implement this strategy correctly as to not inundate my students with lectures that lose their interest.

I am beginning to realize the importance of taking the time to produce high quality pre recorded lectures and having other quality materials for the students to view for their homework.

Student will have barriers or come up with some type of barrier as an excuse.  But, holding the student responsible for their actions with a flip classroom is the key.  A flip classroom leaves more time for hands on in the classroom.

Advantages are that if your students buy into it they will find they will have more discusion on topics in class rather than just sitting and listening to the teacher. The barrier is getting students to do the learning outside of the classroom.

This avenue of education will provide greater opportunity for me to work thorugh the material with my students in the classroom and address the varying levels of comprehension at a rudimentary level 

The flipped classroom can require more time up front from the instructor to prepare/create effective on-line learning modules or pre-recorded videos, but it creates more opportunities for deeper learning, as described by Bloom's taxonomy, in the classroom and can result in positive outcomes for both the student and the instructor.

Being aware of the barriers that may hender the flipping process.

Flipping the classroom is a fundamental strategy that when used correctly should eleviate learning potential for the student.  Utilizing the different techniques of Flipping a classroom can also address individual student issues such as maiting focus and attention. And bottom line, if it is good for the student's learning, then it should raises the learning of the class as a whole as well!!

See it. Do it. Teach it. Repeat!

Detailled pre-recorded sessions can be very helpful for those students that can be following behind. Flipping a classroom is a grat opportunity to implement that.

Access to pre-recorded content and other learning resources makes it easy for students to learn on their own time and at their own pace. Completing homework in the classroom allows students to have meaningful interactions with their peers as well as have the instructor assist them as soon as needed. These interactions enable students to complete their work, help their peers, and allows deeper understanding of the course content.

Being aware of Bloom's taxonomy and working it into the curriculum via the flipped classrom as well as experiential, hands-on learning seems to be a proactive appraoch to teaching and learning. I'm so curious to implement this approach.

The advantages of a flipped classroom include increased student engagement, and the ability to work at their own pace on their own schedule to some extent. Students can also review and remediate with 24x7 resources, and online resources may be more accessible to students with disabilities. Finally, the flipped classroom leaves class time available for application-level learning. Barriers to the flipped classroom include the technology savvy of the instructor, the increased preparaton time, and decreased student motivation, as they may percieve that the instructor is taking the easy way out of teaching the class.

The barriers of this method include lack of technology at home and students' own self-motivation. Because some students will not want to be responsible for their own learning. You have to able to hold them accountable for the work and responsibilities for this to work. Also, It will require a lot of time to prepare for. The payoff, however, is a brighter level of understanding and performance based on blooms taxonomy.

Teachers who have implemented flipped classrooms have seen failure rates decrease and test scores increase

I definitely see the flipped classroom model being really complex and overwhelming initially as everyone adjusts to a new learning environment, but I think that'd be the most challenging hurdle. The other obstacles seem like they'd dissapate over time and become easier. The proactive communication is crucial, and without it that first hurdle would be impossible. I'm interested in implementing the flipped model!

Sign In to comment