Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I love the concept of the flipped classroom. The key to this is getting the students to read their assigned chapters and watch course videos before class. I have explained to them that this will allow more time in class for learning activities. Perhaps some of you have implemented this successfully in your course. How did you motivate them?

It was exciting to learn that flipping the classroom allows for higher order thinking like analysis, synthesis and evaluation; all important 21st century skills that students must have to be successful in their careers.  I did find it interesting to learn that flipping the classroom has an incredible benefit for math and science.  I definitely understand that now...especially because it allows for class time to answer questions and clear misconceptions.  It was also exciting to learn that failure rates decrease in flipped classrooms.  It truly does take time to learn how to put the correct materials into recorded lectures, assignments, and videos.  I have found that chunking information into small bits helps both instructor and student reach the intended outcomes.

This module pointed out the student perception of a flipped classroom and the benefit of accessibility for students with language barriers or for hearing impaired. I know that some students may feel this is additional homework, and some may not even do it, but I think the ones that would benefit most from this style will take full advantage. I also have seen students thrive and become even more engaged with this structure. This module was also an excellent brush-up on Bloom's Taxonomy.

A little bit more of up front work to convert a F2F  course to be a flipped class has the potential of reaping significantly improved outcomes and reduction in failures. I intend to flipp my entire program this year.

It is found that instructors who have implemented flipped classrooms notes a decrease in failure rate and discipline problems and and increase in test scores. This deeper understanding of the course content in a flipped classroom is far from the traditional, but as with any classroom, there may be pitfalls that are being researched to improve this strategic way of learning. 

See it. Do it. Teach it. is greatest philosophy, while students are excited of their teaching styles and methods, the instructor needs to pay close attention to each and everyone student and ask questions. 

Sign In to comment