Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I learned that looking at the student's history with educational accomodations can help set the stage for continuation of successful education.

This module gave great insight on the different types of learning disabilities and tactics that can be used to help students who may need extra assistance. By identifying the specific learning disability they have you can guide them more effectively through coursework. Context is everything and it is based upon the individual. Communicating with the student can help to uncover and identify tactics that have been employed in the past to tailor coursework in a manner that ensures success.

Doris Owens

The information given regarding learning disabilities was very helpful.  Being an instructor allows me to work with students with all types of disabilities.  It is very encouraging when an instructors can help a student to grow and achieve above their disability in learning. 

I learned how to help students with learning disabilities. They are just as capable as the other students but they may need more time. Their actual intelligence is the same or greater than every other student so they deserve the same chances. Also discussing with them what help or resources they may need is extremely beneficial. 

Students with learning disabilities can be a challenge in the class but often with support and understanding do well.

e flexible, communicate, and utilize the resources that are available to you in the institution to help yourself and the student.

I learned that students with disabilities may need more time to help them with school work.

I appreciate knowing the different types of learning disabilities.  In particular, I now know the approximate numbers of students I teach who might want or need added support.  I have been given concrete methods to help them be successful in my class.

As someone who was in the wilson reading program and had accomodating as a child, this reconated with me. 

Accommodating with learning disabilities. 

People with learning disabilities are extremely capable and simply need modifications to succeed. 

I learned that the most common disability is with a student's reading and writing. Asking the student what helps him or her learn allows the student to advocate for themselves. Chunking assignments, giving extra time, and allowing for verbal instead or written responses are some of the ways you can modify assignments.

I love when students are able to communicate with me on what support works best for them since it their education and being involved with the IEP meeting if at an acceptable age to do so.

Little  efforts needed to teach students with disabilities. Learning disability like dyslexia is common. Patients and concentrated effort needed to teach them.

Shah Rahman

Interesting subject, students with learning disabilities are average or above average and can succeed by self advocacy, support from instructors. IEP for students who have not graduated from high school or are under 21 years. (Individual Disability Act 2004) It is required by Federal Law.

Comment on Shane Apperley's post

I have found that students with learning disabilities tend to be embarrassed about the difficulty. When I see a student struggling I will speak with them privately and ask them what challenges they are working with. If they tell me they need extra time or have difficulty reading I suggest that they speak with their doctor about the concern and possible diagnosis. 

In this module, I learned that 80% of students with learning disabilities have issues with reading. I learned the different kinds of learning disabilities. It was very interesting learning about all the different types of disabilities as well. 

Comment on Jeanette Roach's post: Many students with learning disabilities need additional support. It is a good idea to identify what their needs are so that they can have the support they need to be successful. Allowing students with learning disabilities to have extra time on test could be beneficial.

There are many different learning disabilities that might effect a students comprehension. A common one is dyslexia, in which letters might mix up or reverse in a students mind. If a student comes to you to inform you of a learning disability they have, it is important to ask if any previous IEP was used, and what might have helped them succeed in the past.

I have quite a few students in my classes that have a myriad of learning disabilities.  It was good for me to learn the different types outside of dyslexia so that I can create supports that are effective for them to succeed.  I also want to learn more about using graphic organizers, which I believe will be beneficial to all of the students in my class.  Culinary tends to attract students that are visual/tactile learners with challenges in math and reading.

Sign In to comment