Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

This is helpful information on how to help students with learning disabilities.  Giving them more time can help students with dyslexia.  As far as I know, you can't discuss the disabilities with students at my institution.  So I am slightly confused with this information.

Approach each student as a unique individual with unique talents and unique needs. Students with learning disabilities are not dumb or below average with intelligence, generally speaking. Start with respect and a generous amount of compassion. 

It is important to talk to students with learning disabilities to see what learning methods have worked in the past for them. 

Letters and sentences run together. Try to read the following sentence:

Acommoncauseofreabingqrodlews Is thelackofsqacinqof worbs anbletterreversal.

Reading this sentence may give you a small insight into the frustrations of people with dyslexia. The intended sentence reads:

A common cause of reading problems is the lack of spacing of words and letter reversal.

I really appreciate and learned quite a bit from the list of strategies for accomodating disabilities. The materials section was really intersting, and placing boxes around questions to help keep students focused is awesome.

the sesction provided great information on the different learning disabilities 

Students with learning disablites can make classroom instruction easier for all the students.  It would require slowing things down and providing more time to process the information being taught.  it will be a good skill to acuire to become a better instructor.

Wow, what a very informative section. I learned a bunch, & reinforced quite a bit of what I knew & want to continue to apply moving forward.

Key points that I took away from this section are:

• 10% of students have some form of a learning disability. Be it Dyslexia, Dyscalculia, Dysgraphia, Dysnomia, & Dyspraxia.
  • A learning disability in short is something that interferes with cognitive processing of new information.
  • Adult learners need to self advocate.
  • IEP’s are not required by federal law after graduating high school, or after the age of 21.
  • Good ways to accommodate students with learning disabilities are…. For presentation: Provide audio tape, Provide large print, Designate a reader for them.   For response:  Allow for verbal responses, or responses via a computer, to name a few. As far as timing, allow for breaks, & give more time.  As far as setting: give better seating & lighting, space with minimal distractions, & administer tests in a separate location. As far as materials: Providing spaces between paragraphs, underlining key words, keeping content brief, & putting boxes around test questions are all good ways to accommodate students who need it.

I learned that students with disabilities are capable of learning and succeeding in their course of studies.  Preparation on the instructor's part is key and for  the student need to nform the instuctor of their needs.

Students or people with disabilities, sometimes (due to embarrassment) are not disclosed.  It would help instructors know, by pretesting indivduals so we would know how to approve their issue.

This was a very informative section on learning disabilities.

A lot of students I get that have learning disabilities perform ery well. They have already developed coping skills in secondary education. I usually just need to give them minor accomodations such as extra time in task and test. 

This module provided various teaching methods to accommodate students with learning disabilities while maintaining the expectation of an adult learning environment. 

Being able to accommodate students with learning disabilities to be more successful is essential. Students are sometimes afraid to mention an issue, but it can be easy to ascertain. As an instructor, you can approach them as well. However, do it in such a way that you are just checking in on them and seeing if they need any extra support.

Most students with learning disabilities just need a little more time.  Something as simple as turning on a recorder can make all the difference

it is important to help students with any disabilities they have.

I learned from this module that modifications can easily be implemented and could help all students as well.

There are many different learning disabilities that students can have.  It is important to proactively offer any support they need to set them up to succeed in the classroom.

Students with learning disabilities are often of above average or average intelligence. Sometimes all they need is a little nudge to come out of their shells, but you have to it in a way that won't make them feel embarressed- Rather push them a little, make them feel like they have your attention, and coach them through the moment.

I have found this section to be very helpful in offering various different strategies for helping students with learning disabilities get a fair chance at learning the content that is required for the course.

Sign In to comment