Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

My biggest take away is the that each student with a learning disability is unique, and we must collaborate with the student, their parents, and any support services to develop an individualized approach that meets each students specific needs. We must ensure that when instructing learners with learning disabilities, it is important to provide targeted support and accommodations to help them succeed. 

Helping our students with learning disabilities will allow them to have more time to read and comprehend what they maybe struggling with that may take longer than the average student.  So it helps them to still be successful by helping them with an IEP plan. 

Asking what tools were helpful in the past seems like the fastest and easiest way to get any necessary accommodations in place.

During this course ive learned to Instruct learners with disabilities. I find this course fascinating. to learn about the different types of disabilities. i feel if the student is willing and motivated to put in work to achieve their career goal help them as much as you can by  giving out the resources for your students to be successful. 

Once we identify the learner disability, it is easy and simple to help them to succeed. They will tel you what worked for them in the past and see if you can help them with their needs.

Students with learning disabilities require additional support from the instructors and resources that can be provided by the institution written policy. Just a few of the many strategies to help students with learning disabilities are: providing a range of activities in using the application of key words, give students feedback, gain rapport with the student by learning a few words of the their language, and having students demonstrate the learned skills.

This module on students with learning disabilities has reinforced what I have previously experienced in the middle school classroom.  A big challenge then was discovering the learning disability the student actually had and then putting accomodations and or modifications in place.  In the college classroom, the student is their own advocate and knows, for the most part, what has worked for them in previous classes.

I do agree that the accomodations used to assist students with learning disabilities can benefit most students in general.  For example - giving instructions orally and repeating them, have a few students tell you what the instructions are telling them to do, and finally, break up larger text into smaller sections.

I've worked with many students with varying disabilities; from blind or deaf students to those with physical or mental disabilities.  I've found that a lot of these students don't want special treatment (beyond reasonable accommodations); they know what they are capable of, and in most cases they have a drive to push beyond their limitations.  

Students with dyslexia are average or above average learners, they just may need more time

Sign In to comment