Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Assessments are necessary to figure out if students understand material

Gained knowledge about using different testing strategies

The the main purpose of tests are to measure what students do know rather than to identify what they don't know. 

Different test has test different learning out come and objective. Depending on the material, the instructor should consider what kind of test is used. 

Skill Application tests are my favorite form of assessment personally but because of the different learning styles I have used all of these except standardized test. Each has it's own benefits and this section did a great job of summarizing all of them.

An understanding of the various test instruments to use in the classroom. 

When choosing a method of testing, you should consider the type of skill that you are assessing. Multiple choice allows you to assess a wide range of topics and are easier to grade. 

I will take this into consideration if I am ever required to create an assessment.

Diagnostic testing is important at the beginning of the course to evaluate and help the instructor know the strengths and weakness of the student so the instructor can modify the learning activities accordingly.

Each teasting method has its pro's and con's. It is up to the instructor to select the best testing method to evaluate student knowledge of the material.

Student learning and assessment topic is a great way to learn about the different test styles the way to make the test for the students. 

I have learned to vary my testing type to fit my students understanding.

Comment on Shane Apperley's post: It's nice to have a explaination of the different types of tests and how to construct them.

The difference between assessment and how they're received provides a lot of insight in to choosing the right type of test to suit what needs to be evaluated as well as showing how much content is being retained by the student.

This session discussed fundamental principles for practical assessments. Using a five-point scale with negative points to encourage positive contributions was an excellent way to maintain a respectful learning environment. Transparency in assessment methods is crucial, and promoting student engagement when they understand the evaluation process can help establish a student-centered learning environment. Additionally, I intend to use the tips on defining clear learning objectives before constructing assessments to ensure fair and accurate measurement of student progress. Experimenting with various assessment formats can help with refinement based on my personal experience, ultimately benefiting both students and educators. Applying these insights from this session will help establish a fair grading system, emphasizing transparency in assessment criteria and alignment between assessments and defined learning objectives - fostering a challenging yet equitable learning environment.

Learning about the value of assessments and the different types of tests was helpful. Also, knowing that text book publishers also create tests/questions is good to know.

It was interesting to see how to change up multiple choice questions to make them more application questions rather than just recall. 

Also, I do a lot of True/False bc they are common in healthcare testing. The suggestion of having the student circle T or F was great!!! I always have trouble with determining the answers when they are written in. 

Really made me understand what the different tests offer and why

Using a variety of tests methods is helpful to the instructor and students.

Evaluations can come in many shapes and sizes. Incorporating different types of evaluations can allow for a more complete educational process for the students involved. 

Sign In to comment