Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Effective testing is critical in determining individual student absorption of the material, but also the overall effectiveness of the teachings to the group.   If a large percentage of students fail a particular test, analysis should be done to determine why (was the material not presented effectively, was the test flawed, were the students not pre-evaluated in a manner to determine the material was above their current level of learning, etc).   The results can help better the course of instruction to ensure students are taught in manner which may better suit them and the material.

Assessments or testing, are a report card for both the student and the teacher.  They can show teh learning progress of the student and also the quality of the instruction or even the quality of the course design.

Seth Soronnadi

Learned that, " If you use a test from a textbook make sure and follow the text carefully so the students will know the content and what they are going to be tested over."

Insight on all the types of exams

The are many variables to consider in assessing stundents. The key one s for me are the ones that best get at are the skills gaps that exist at an organization. Nevertheless, it is imortant to be deliberate and mindful of the measur'es design and the needs of the organziation. 

I've learned that even the test styles that I don't like have a legititimate strategy behind them. Multiple choice tests can be a very effective and helpful way of testing understanding of material.

This module demonstrates the importance of learning objectives. The evaluations created by the instructor should allow the students to demonstrate their understanding of the learning objectives in a positive way. 

Great techniques for various learning assessments. 

Knowing that you know something is rewarding. Developing tests and assessents that reflect what knowledge and understanding has been retained is a challenge. I often use "I learned, I wonder, I wish" to get feedback from lectures.

Different testing strategies can help us determine  what our students have learned

It's important to know there are various ways to asses what students have learned. Multiple choice question, TF questions, essays, matching, standardized tests, etc. 

I truly learned more about assessments!

Choosing the correct format or combination of formats is essential to give your students the best opportunity to show their understanding of the materieal they have learnes.

While I am not a fan of essay or short answer test as there tends to be a subjective component to grading, I do see their value in evaluating knowledge base and writing ability.

Clearly I'm guilty of indexing my multiple choice questions with small letter. CAPITALS from now on!

I plan to diversify the types of questions used. However, I realize it is important to understand the purpose of each question and not just ask questions that do not measure understanding.

Require and guide students to use examples and evidence from class learning in essays. 

I should really use more of a variety of questions. I had previously been taught that essay questions are the best form of assessment as it forces them to really consider their response. Also stratgically using different forms of questioning as mentioned, such as True and False questions to ensure students can answer more questions in the time allotted. 

It is good to be confirmed about certain pitfalls and advantages of different test types.  Made me think about changing some of my assessments for the next semeter.

Reply to Mary Ann Cirone's post:I agree.  I try to use exit slips/tickets as often as possible to get that insight.  Some of the students do not ask questions when they need to.

Sign In to comment