Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I really enjoyed this section and gained a better understanding based on the following facts:

• The attention span of most individuals is in the 15-18 minute range.
  • We generally only remember about 25% of what we hear.
  • We normally only retain 40% of what we read.
  • We can listen 4 times faster than we can speak.

I learned to acknowledge the differences in learning styles. Each student learns differently 

students have different learning capabilities, so as a teacher you should learn all the types of learning to engage with your students. 

As with anyone, it requires a lot of patience and creativity to keep a person's attention. This is why it is so important to convey the love we have for our topic!

Incorporate different methods of teaching because everyone learns different.  Also, when doing lectures, try to not read word for word.  Make it interesting and make each student feel like you're talking to him or her.  

Students learn in various ways, visual, hearing, reading etc. I will base my instruction on giving them various ways to learn it. Prepare the day before, have a plan and practice.

Lesson plans help keep you focused on how to prepare for each class session, including the content and materials needed for the students.

I learned a lot about the different types of lectures that there are.  I am planning on using several of them.

Delivering course content that is engaging and interesting for the students to remain focused is key. Setting up lectures (in varying methods and styles) into 15-minute blocks helps to keep attention spans focused. Using an ice breaker or something to grab the student's attention at the beginning of each class is important. I like the idea of handing out 3x5 cards to the students to write their questions down and then collecting them at the end of lecture to answer. I will definitely use this technique. 

It is important to use various tools to transmit information to students, with this we can maintain the interest and curiosity of students to see what new things they will learn and handle tomorrow.

Making sure lecture doesn't exceed 15-18 minutes at a time secondary to majority of learner's attention span is within that time frame. Also making sure not exceed 5-7 steps per objective to ensure student success.

I heard many years ago to teach in "chunks" and that is what I try to do.  I do not lecture very long, but will always have some other activity to do to keep students actively involved.

you should always practice any demonstrations before class 

You try to use different methods to keep the students engage and interested in the material they are learning. You can use surveys, different videos from other professors, to help keep the students engage.

Changing tactics helps to promote engagement of students and keeping the period of time broken into 10–15-minute segments of each teaching style allow each student to resonate with different points of the lesson.

problem based learning

Varying your teaching style is helpful to your students, and learning which style benefits your students the most can make you a better instructor.

I learned about different instructional methods and how important it is to pick the most effective method to use while lecturing.

I have learned that I need to get to know my students and try to cater my teaching style to their learning style. I need to be personable and clear in my teaching and ensure that I stay connected with them to be able to teach them in a way that will be clear, understandable and effective.

The amount of information retained when delivered verbally versus being read.

Sign In to comment