Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

In this lesson, I've learned the importance of proper time management, and ensuring that course content is regularly refreshed with new and relevant content. I've also learned the importance of understanding the knowledge levels of the students in order to find the balance of content to keep all students engaged as much as possible.

As a seasoned instructor I find it is important to get to know your students in order to gauge their level of knowledge. Along with being prepared to effectively and efficiently deliver the the course content within the allotted time frame.

Flexibility is important as well as time management. Conduct a pretest or ask questions about students' experience so lesson can be molded to their needs.

I found the topic about time, relevant. The compression factor in teaching was an example of what often times happens in reverse, instead of having to much time, often times the need to condense the class into a shorter block of time occurs. Planning for situations like these and knowing the key pieces of information that need to be conveyed is vital.

When planning you lesson, make sure to give an outline on topics to be covered and emphasize the importance of each part of the lesson. Time management is also key. You need to plan it out so that you spend more time teaching and less time for the students to disengage.

I appreciate the emphasis this course places on how a student learns. Far too many classrooms take a cookie-cutter approach to education. I have enjoyed how this course suggests an instructor needs to take the time to get to know their entire class. We need to set some time aside before and after class to get to know our students and provide them an opportunity to ask questions. I have also discovered the value of lesson planning, why it is important, how being prepared can be an invaluable asset, and what steps we can take to ensure we are providing the best learning experience for our students. I also appreciate how this course includes humility. We as instructors must have an awareness of what we know and do not know. We must be aware of our bias and bad habits. It has taught me the importance of including additional learning resources and activities to help keep students engaged and interested. It has shown me that we need to build in some bonus content and a few additional activities in case our class runs through the content faster than we expected. We need to create a variety of activities to determine the retention level of our students, and encourage them to absorb the knowledge more effectively.

Regardless of knowledge level of the students, always incorporate a "hook" to introduce the subject matter and get the students interested.  This could an engaging introductory video, a surprise quiz to gauge knowledge, or a hands-on activity. Then engage the students in a variety of ways to keep the lesson moving, leaving ample time for questions and student input. 

Glad that it was pointed that not everyone comes in at the same level.  Sometimes it really does take some adjustments of examples to get the class on the "same page"

Very important to assess what the students know before class. Also showing them how what you are teaching is being applied in the real world.

Understanding the level of knowledge of the students that your students have will help you develop lesson plans that will better meet the learning objectives. 

For me , Adaptability for my students is key , change on the fly to adapt to the ever changing needs of the student as well as the environment and circumstances that are sometimes out of my control are essential to good planning, I like to have a back up plan just in case

Know your audience. Pre-test is a great tool, either formally or informally taken

This course opened my eyes to new ways to explore the various ways to engage each student in a way that maximizes their learning potential. An instructor who is flexible, adaptable and prepared to teach will have greater opportunities to ensure the success of their students.

Flexibility and preparation are key to a great start in course development

I consider that this module is of great importance for the successful development of the class, I will keep in mind all the objectives exposed in the module to apply them during my next classes.

Time management is critical

Having students fill out information cards or giving pretests prior to the class to test their level of understanding and knowledge of the material.

Plan extra material because it usually goes faster than expected.

Time management. 

I learned to plan ahead. 

Sign In to comment