Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I am going to stop giving extra credit and instead let the student make up missed work of redo an assignment they did poorly at.

I liked the idea of keeping 2 points at the end of exam, for asking what have you learnt in this course which was not assessed.

How the exams helps you know what kind of job you are doing as an instructor. You will be able to see what sections of the course you covered in an understandable way, and what sections need some additional presentation work on your part.

I believe the current grading system, extra credit assignments, late policy, makeup assignments, remediation exams, are all fair and effective.

It was interesting to entertain the idea of extra credit to support extra projects that focused on student interests. 

is important to plan, keep gradebook up to date

I need to create a "better work late or not completed by a date" policy. Fairness and openness need to be there, but I need to make sure that everyone understands the process.

Making sure that extra credit does not carry more weight in the class than the required assignments.  Grade books can be paper or electronic.  

To set up an evaluation system. Developing grading system, creating and troubleshooting grading methods

Comment on hector medina's post:outstanding!

Providing information for general educational techniques are a true value

Comment on Consuelo (Connie) Gill's post: This can have long term problems will syllabus changes however. As a math teacher I prefer a more dynamic score which forces the students to engage with percepts if you really want to understand their grade.  

In this module, I learned that it is beneficial to explore different assessment methods.  This way, I can select the most accurate and comprehensive assessment for the students.

Make sure to balance all work grades and how much all the different assignments weigh to make it as fair as possible for all the hard working students.

Discussing missed assignments with your students is more productive than just giving them a zero. 

Utilizing different types of forms and applications for creating an easier system for you and your class regarding to teaching. 

The key to grading is being Fair, Consistent and Timely. It is important to balance the weight of each type of assessment for student to perceive its value.  This is especially true when using points, where choosing an appropriate scale is critical. Be thoughtful on how exam retakes and extra credit are counted. Lastly, when grading participation consider incorporating reflection.

I enjoyed the section on grading. When I started teaching, I wasn't sure what exactly I could or could not do. It was a good reminder of the importance of keeping the grade book updated and ensuring that your grading scale is clearly outlined. It is a disservice to our students if we only update the grade book at the end of each semester or year. 

Informing students of missed assignments, have a conversation with them in regards to it. 

make a clear policy 

Sign In to comment