Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Letting the student know what our expectations and goals are for each course being taught

It's important to include policies on late work, attendance and grading policies. Deciding how many points formative and summative assessments are worth is also important to determine at the beginning of the semester and in the syllabus. 

Make sure to use both summative and formative assessments.  Just like in planning, if a grading scheme is not working, it can and should be adjusted.  Be consistent in grading practices.  Be clear, consistent and fair on your policies, procedures dealing with turning in assignments and make-up work.   Be careful with extra credit.  Check the school’s policy, and make sure the extra credit is not excessive and does not take the place of required credit.

When to give extra credit assignments. For example, when giving special projects.

Grades should be set up so that students can easily see how they were calculated.

It is important to have a good balance in the grades between assignmnets, exams and quizzes. Teaching style should also fit the needs of the institution. 

Be clear about your grading policies and  everything will be okay.

Evaluating student progress helps the student see how well they are doing and the instructor to see where improvements made be needed.

while the transition to electronic gradebooks is long in effect, the ideas governing paper gradebooks apply to electronic gradebooks and help consider the best methods. 

Reply to Vikas Sharma's post: I agree. sometimes the extra credit is more trouble to the instructor than it benefits the student.

Students have to be aware of school policies on grades, attendance and extra credits. 

Make sure that I have a clear policy on grades, attendance, tests and extra credit. Put it in writing and give to the students at the beginning of the course

KEEP GRADE BOOKS UP TO DATE AND OFFER EXTRA CREDIT ASSIGNMENTS

The grading system protects the students. I have to adhere with laws and institution policy. I'm also torn between giving extra assignments or just give them failing grades for not meeting deadlines. If it's a valid reason then I can probably give them a chance but if its just poor time management then I don't want to encourage them bad study habits.

Be careful with grading and not rewarding the lowest tests scores which Could hurt others if a cut off was not made appropriately. 

Formative assessments are important because you can see the progress of the students every step of the way.

I plan to incorporate more formative assessments into my curriculum so that I have more confidence that the students know the material they will be tested on during summative assessments.  This material also emphasized to me how important it is to clearly state grading policies in the course syllabus and make them clear to students at the outset of class to avoid issues later on.

Make sure the grading system is fair and given to the students at the begininng of class. Extra credit with too high a point value can be used to replace regular assignments that are essential to learning.

It is important to be transparent and have all policies clearly stated in the handbook and the syllabus. Be consistent and fair. Respect privacy. 

Always be careful in granting extra credit. It can come back to bite you if it is deemed unfair by some studetns.

Sign In to comment