Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I liked the way it acknowledged that a test may have flaws, but gave a suggestion for improvement without compromising your image to the students.

Use formative evaluation to adapt your teching styles. Be careful with bonus points and participation points because there is a lot of gray area.

That it is important to continually assess my grading style and criteria. To let others review my grading criteria that have more experience than me. Finally, to keep my grading up to date so that all of my students know where thier grades stand at all times. 

Evaluations are just as important for the instructor as it is for the student. It allows us to know how effective we are at our jobs and also will point to where we should provide more information and where we are maybe providing more than the students need. Evaluations show the progress of the student and will ultimately provide a final grade. Formative assessments should take place frequently and summative assessments will allow us to know how well the students can apply their new knowledge that has been gained during the course.

The importance of keeping the grade book current. How we can give an additional exam to help with poor test scores.

Respectfully, I completely disagree with the suggestion that if an instructor writes a bad test, they can simply scold students for doing poorly and write a new test making it worth double the points of the original, poorly written test. Why tell students you are disappointed in them if YOU are the one who wrote a bad test? This is a terrible idea. Own your mistakes. Come clean with the students. They will respect you for it. 

Be careful with deciding to give extra credit. Make sure that the grading is fair for all students. Keep grades and records confidential. Keep a record of your grading system and methods. Always review with students the requirements of how to earn their grades. Have a discussion in the beginning about missed/late assignments and test retaking. Post student's grades as soon as possible. It is about setting the right expectations in the beginning

Learning how to set up your gradebook and keeping it current to not only better keep yourself on track, but to protect yourself professionally. That your are respecting your students time by keeping up with their grades. Being consistant on how you grade when and if miss class assignments. 

Apply a consistent grading system and late work policy and post it in the syllabus. Review it on the first day of class.

You need to follow the grading system of your instituion and work within that.

It is important to have the classroom policies in place before the school year begins.

Having a straight foward policy and communincating it at the begining of the class will help both the student and me as the teacher, understand grading expectations.

make sure you have it lines out and very clear your make up time and testing 

Always let studnets know class expectations

I always offer extra credit to my students becuase the topics I choose are soething different and they enjoy learning

Our institution uses an automatic grading system, which makes it easier on the instructors and the students have their grades available at all times.  We are still able to manually alter grades if needed to deduct points for late assignments or extra credit.  Thought the software makes grading easier, class management and evaluations are still at the discretion of the instuctor.

This is great intro to becoming even a better instructor in the art of grading understanding student low grade behavior.We also must provide expectationa that provide our stuents with possitive comunication.

Where I teach, electronic gradebooks are used, with automatic entry of scores from tests, and other objective evaluations. The instructors enter grading from subjective evaluations such as discussion questions. However, one must be careful when using electronic gradebooks, as they can become corrupted, or out-of-adjustment. Check the matrix early in the class to see if all the percentages match the syllabus, and inform your tech team if there are any differences.

Evaluating the students is important in order to prepare them for their future. As an instructor, when evaluating them, one should use the right methods so that they can demonstrate content mastery. I also like giving extra credit.  I find that many students do well in applied knowledge.

Incorporate a clear cut policy in the begining for grades and extra credit.

Sign In to comment