Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

These sessions will enable the students to express their concerns if they have any, as well as ask any questions they have that they do not want to ask in the formal class setting.

Aligning my goals with my schools will help my students suceed. They will have a more concise view of what to expect. Also, extra credit should be offered as an additional tool when needing more practice.

They discuss hard copy grade books. I didn't realize people still did that. I now appreciate all that much more our structored electronic gradebook embedded in our shells. 

Having clear and up front expectation of the course and classwork will help the students prepare for the course. Giving the students a clear expectation of the workload will set them up for success.

The main thing that stuck out to me in this section was the extra credit on tests.  One suggestion was to add an extra credit question at the end of a test asking what the student had learned in that particular unit of the course that they weren't tested on.  I think that is an idea and I will be utilizing it in my classes.

I applied most of the recomendations in this discussion, partcularly grade sharing.

Students like to know where they stand grade-wise in a class, so staying on top of grading is a good practice. Set students up for success by explaining to them how to approach assignments and how they will be graded.

Devloping a grading system was my steepest learning curve my first year of teaching. I always wanted to offer extra credit opportunities, but I always found it difficult to apply them fairly and consistently. Reading about the extra credit and missed assignment suggestions was very enlightning. I look forward to being able to address late assignments and extra-credit more confidently with this advice!

It is essential to maintain a fine-tuned system for recording student progress. This process must always aim to provide a fair system for evaluating academic activity.

extra credit should be saved for special projects

It is very important to have clear policies for grading.

It is very important to be very clear on how a grade is earned, thru rubricks, and clear laid out scoring sheets, this is very important in lab situatitions, where physical tasks are performed by the student, and then assessed by the instructor.

I learn about setting a fair grading system with clear policies in witch there's a clear policy about extra credits and make-up test.

Today we have to think outside the traditional way of grading, we have to look foward to a new type of asset where the student feel free to be creative and be more constructive.

Be very clear with the policies on turning in assignments on time.

I have learned that it is important to set a fair grading system that will give students the ability to get a fair grade. I should also have grades ready quickly and efficiently, as well as have a good grade keeping system and way to show my students their overall grades when asked.

Have clear policies, point them out in the syllabus and make little exception to the rule.  Students will take advantage if they notice the policies and rules are bent at will.

I have learned several important aspects in regards creating an evaluation system.

Honestly, I did not think about how important it is to think and plan this evaluation system from a "comprehensive approach" and considering so many different perspectives - to include the legal area-. Undoubtedly  I have to think and work on it in order to be an actual professional instructor.

Within all of these aspects, I might remark that it is very clever and pretty logical to request assistance from senior and experienced instructors in order to confirm you are creating an effective, fair,  trustable and secure evaluation system for reflecting your students´achievements which fits as well within the different policies established at the Institution your are working for.

Thanks for such a great learning module and outstanding suggestions!

In addition to not exceeding regular gredit, extra credit should truly be extra credit, not "instead credit." I don't alloow students to do extra credit work without completing the regular assigned work first.

Extra credit,not instead credit.

Sign In to comment