Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Plan and stick to it!

It has been said many times that if you fail to plan, you plan to fail. I feel that this also could apply to retention. If there is a plan of action for each student from the time of arrival, and clear roles have been established for each person involved in the plan, adhering to that plan should make the student feel at ease with discussing anything.

Retention is the result of doing the right things the right way, of having the right people in the right place at the right time. That requires planning. Do you have some specific tasks that you hope to accomplish in the next month to improve your institution's plan?

I agree with Pete. By establishing clear plans for the students it gives them a sense of direction and a sense of belonging.

Please give me an example of clear plans for the students, Joseph. What role do you play in developing and delivering these plans? Are there any specific steps you will take within the next 30 days to improve this process?

As an example of a plan for a student, I recently met with a student regarding her future education. Since we offer associate degrees, she asked my opinion regarding which college she should continue on to get her 4 year degree. I recommended Hiram College and also Kent State University. She further asked what were the requirements to take the CPA exam. I then answered that. I further told her that after passing the CPA exam there was an Ethics exam she would have to pass, and before she receives her license she also has to have 2 years of accounting experience under the guidance of a CPA. After that to maintain your license, you have to take 40 hours of seminars a year in qualifying subjects. I constantly provide this type of information to students since I am a CPA. I also constantly answer questions regarding real world accounting situations since I have 31 years experience in accountung. Based on the number of questions I am asked, I feel there is no need to change this . I make myself available to all my students, both current and former. I tell all my students that the education process never ends and I welcome their questions any time. I tell all my Income tax students that I will check their tax returns for nothing and give them all the help I can in preparing their returns.

Nicely done, Joseph. I hope your student will be successful in her quest.

I agree! Aside from the fact that no one really accepts change well in a positive manner so when a plan is set adn you stick to it, there is no room for discomfort!

Sign In to comment