Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Retention Can be enhanced with Campus Involvement

We have emplamented a graduation committee in our school. I have great pride in taking to my students that I am trying to get them to this point and that I care about their success. If they know we are working for them, they are proud as well.

Tell us more about the graduation committee, Jennifer. Who is on it? Does it include students or graduates? What does it do? How does it work?

This committee involves our directors of education, a placement officer, an extern coordinator, myself, and a few students. No past graduates are on this committee but that gave me the idea to get in contact with one if I can. We decided where to hold the graduation and are now deciding how to raise funds. We are also discussing how the ceremony will be run etc.

This is a really great example of getting different interested parties working together on a project that will have a lasting impact on your students and staff, Jennifer. Thanks for sharing.

I think this is a great opportunity also to involve the individual responsible for retention on you campus also, as well as some admissions personnel. Graduating students tend to give some real insight into whats happening in our institutions, their honest can be overhelming sometimes but most helpful. Great Job!!

What sort of insight have you gotten from your graduating students, Julius?

Getting students involved in activities can be a wonderful way to keep them excited about learing and help keep them interested at the same time.Sounds like a great idea.

What specific activities have you identified for your classroom, Joanna?

I If you provide students an opportunity to be involved the class room, ie have students tutor each other. they will be more likely to build a relationship with others in their class. This will provide them with a support system that might not be available anywere else in their life. They will see the class room as a place of personal support and will look towrds the class when things get tough for them not just to run away from school

Having students tutor each other is indeed a good way for students to get to know their peers, Michael. How often do you ask them to do this? What types of tasks? Do you assign pairs/groups or let the students self select?

Sign In to comment