Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Being straightforward is an excellent policy

I think that being realistic and straightforward with students will help them respect and trust you. I have been fortunate to deal with people in different situations, (teaching, athletic coaching, corporate industry), and each time the common link to trust and respect is honesty and realism. The answers may not be what you hope they would be, but having an understanding of behaviors and thinking patterns may lead to changes and better outcomes.

I agree, Peter, that students respect people who are honest with them. It always surprises me how many people look for excuses or others to blame when they have to deal with unpleasant subjects.

I agree with Pete's comments. By telling the way it is the really good students will appreciate hearing that and the not so good students will either take offense to it or hopefully use it as a motivational device to help them.

“Telling the way it is” is only part of the conversation, Joseph. Reality can be presented in many ways – some ways do motivate students [all students] while others can de-motivate the entire class. I agree that it is important to be honest in assessing a student's ability but, in my experience, it is a rare case where the student can't benefit at some level from the education they are receiving. One of the most difficult tasks an instructor has is to find the balance point between “telling it the way it is” and keeping a student moving toward their goal.

I agree with your comments that one of the most difficult tasks for an instructor is to find the balance between telling it the way it is and keeping a student moving toward their goal. I think this is where the instructor has to be able to accurately evaluate the students and determine how to approach the situation to better the student. I think this comes form experience and hopefully being able to read students.

Thanks, Joseph. The experience element represents an opportunity for seasoned faculty to mentor newer instructors.

I agree it is very important to be straight forward and realistic with all students.

Please expand. Why is it important? What does it mean to be “straight forward and realistic”? What support do you offer students to adjust to your message? How does this approach relate to Academic Stagnation and Academic Erosion?

I agree. Students respect and admire honesty. They know the truth from the beginning and they know exactly what to expect.

I also agree with Pete's comments,but you can tell it like it is without being too blunt. There is always some positives among the negatives.

I agree with Pete as well. Being honest is the best policy. Students wil respect you more, and most likely will not come back later to accuse you of any falsehoods.

What practices do you use to assure that students know “the truth from the beginning and … know exactly what to expect”, Audrey? How do these practices relate to Academic Stagnation and Academic Erosion?

Sallie, can you share an example please?

Certainly honesty is always the best policy, Crystal. How can you use that principle to impact Academic Erosion or Academic Stagnation?

The students enroll in a program because they like what they've heard about the schoool and the curriculm. They know what to expect and what is expected of them. If they know that the staff will support them and help them, I believe that the student will succeed because there are people helping and encouraging them.

Being realistic is important to prepare students for their chosen profession and developing trust in their instructor. If they know up front what is expected and are given positive reinforcement, this creates a learning friendly environment where they feel they can grow and become successful.
Supporting all students with assigned duties in a clinical setting, offering praise, constructive criticism, and rewards at appropriate times has been very effective for my students. They feel they are meeting their goals and are not always in competition with others. This has lead to success and improved self-esteem.

Well defined objectives and consequences, coupled with positive re-enforcement, create an environment where you can reproduce realistic, workplace expectations. Introducing the “real world” without that environment can have devastating results.

I can't think of a specific example perse, but I think that there are different ways of saying things. If you need to correct a student about something you may bring up some of the students strong points also to supplement the weak points.

I agree Peter.
I have found when meeting the perspective student that is thinking on comming into my class ; telling them what I expect and that the course they are taking will require a serious commitment. I don't do this to scare them off but to understand what there about to undertake.

Students are like any other consumer of goods and services; the more information they have in advance the better choice they can make, Daniel. Do any other faculty members at your school get this involved with their future students?

Sign In to comment