Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

teamwork

Retention is the business of all involved in the academic process. It begins with Admissions, and is then addresses throughout the student's experience all the way through Placement.

Student success is the responsibility of all. The entire staff and faculty must be 100% committed to the success of its students. Students will pick up on this positive attitude and hopefully succeed in their chosen field.

Good point, Margaret. What specific steps you will take within the next 30 days to improve retention at your institution?

I believe once all of our instructors have completed this retention course, we will be more enlightened. A staff meeting will then be more productive. I believe we need to continue to emphasize to all students the high standards that we have implemented are to help them to become successful professionals. All staff must continue to set realistic expectations. As stated in the course material “we become what others think about us”.

I agree that retention should involve the whole staff of the school. They will be able to see the involvement for themselves.

Bravo, Margaret

What specific steps will you take within the next 30 days to involve the whole staff of the school, Sallie?

Once the whole staff takes this course, we will be more informed. Hopefully, we can hold a staff meeting to discuss what we've learned and how we can implement it in our school. I will continue to seek the help of other staff members to resolve issues.

I agree strongly with you Margaret. If a student finds a good team, doing a great job, it can boost wanting to join in.

If the students see that the staff is serious then the students will think like that to. If you show the students anything less or become buddy buddy then their thoughts can change.

What do you plan to do to assure that the staff is serious?

True we all an important roll in the retention process. Retention changes in a school(staff)all understand that every student deserve the very best you can give them and they may want the education but may need that very person that teaches them daily to even notice them

Nancy, what a great statement. As a director of Admissions I could not agree more. Sometimes the hardest part is living up to what the admissions department has sold to the student. Frienly, warm, helpful staff memebers, then they walk into another department and no one looks up from their desk, no one wants to even acknowledge that they are there or are treated like they are an interuption to their job. Frankly stating, none of us would have a job if we did not have students. Each student needs to be treated as if they were the only student we had.

I will have to agree with this as the admissions and recruiting team is the first to see the students but sometimes I think the students feel that is the only time they deal with them and as such they feel once the money has changed hans then they are done with them and it's "just for the money". I think that if these departments were to follow up more then the caring feeling would be more apparant. I am not saying they don't care it is just that that is the appearance to some students and if that is their perception then that is what they will think is happening.

Sign In to comment