Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Attrition

Attrition is the responsibility of everyone from the administration to the Admissions Dept., Financial Aide, Faculty and all the staff. All departments should work together as a team to help all students to achieve their goal of graduating.

True. What does your school do to ensure that this happens, Joseph?

I can agree with your assessment, but think that the "team" approach must be taught to all parties so that they are all aware of how much importance their role plays in this area. Too many people feel that it is just another "nonpaid" assignment for them to add to their already cluttered worklife.

Ronald, aren't you really referring to the school's culture, how the issue of retention is presented to staff and faculty? In a culture of student success, staff and faculty understand that the assignment is not “nonpaid”, but the reason they are paid.

I readily concur that the culture of the school that should be presented to the staff is extremely important - but I guess I am wondering if this is actually done on initial interviews or rather something imposed on instructors over the course of time?

Ronald, in my opinion, it starts before the interview. It is important to set the tone in the job posting. Everyone must understand the institution's position re: student success and its commitment to supporting the student. If you wait until a new instructor is on the job, you have set yourself up for feelings that additional – perhaps unpleasant – tasks are being added to the job and that they haven't been told the whole story.

I see mention of every team member except the student. Shouldn't the student be a part of the team and involved in solution seeking to stay in school?

Good point, Victoria. It is important to offer support services, but the student must be willing and able to deal with the issues. The ultimate responsibility for resolving the problem always remains with the student.

I also agree that the school's culture should one that naturally fosters student success. Should this culture be rewarded or should it be expected as part of employment?

Both, I think, Michele, particularly if you are working to re-shape the culture. Your hiring practices certainly must conform to your vision of the future and will send a clear message about your expectations to those who are already in place. However, it's also important to recognize the efforts of everyone who is performing well. Your thoughts?

Loren, you are very insightful and seem to anticipate where I'm going. Thanks. When dealing with cultural re-shaping of an institution and employees that are already in place, I believe that it's great to reinforce good behavior. I see how this is intended to potentially motivate employees to do the same. However, we still have the issue of the non-conformists. Perhaps, if we treat employees like we should be treating out students (in an environment of we care) the culture would improve and perhaps retention would as well!

Often students enter College being told they are prepared, only to find they lack coping skills. With today's “helicopter parents”, who call advisors, counselors, etc. there is little wonder as to why students do not have the skills needed to be successful in their college career. If parents always try to solve their child's problems how can the student learn to make successful decisions?

Good question, Nancy. It does seem that some parents work aggressively to deny their children the opportunity to learn the skills they will need to survive in this world. How does your school address these soft skills issues? Do you have some sort of success course that deals with problem identification and solving skills?

For new Freshman we offer a 2 week August term to help students make the transition. The ones who take advantage of the 2 week session tend to be the better prepared.

I found something that works really well. I explain to the students that we are all equal. The only difference between me the instructor and them the student is that i started doing this type of work before they did. I started learning about what they are about to learn 10 years ago. The only thing that was different between that student and I was a matter of time. None of this big me little you. When they think about that for a second and really understand that yes, the difference between us is just a sequence of time, then they feel less intimidation and less stress and are immediately more open to what is being taught. They realize that I am here to help them and not hinder them.

Does this approach ever result in too much of a sense of familiarity? Of loss of control?

Sign In to comment