Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Surveys

All these suggestions look good in theory but in practice they are not as cut and dried. Some of these students are facing incredible circumstances and getting them to open up can require more than a survey.

Good point, Elmira. Any thoughts on how to reach the students you reference?

Surveys are a great ideal.

Surveys are a good way to start to try to figure out what is going on with the student. Hopefully we are able to pinpoint the actual issue and offer assistance if we are able.

I agree. Sometimes there are a lot of emotions that are involved. I think that is why we need to connect with our students on a personal level so that they feel safe to share their issues with us. Instead of always discussing subject matter or school issues getting to know a students hobbies and interests can go a long way to aid in retention.

Surveys are a great way to start scratching the surface. Some people aren't comfortable speaking out, but can put things on paper.

I would urge cautious about putting too much credence in surveys, Steve. Good, effective surveys are not easy to create and poor ones simply serve to frustrate everyone who is involved with them.

I agree. Knowing a student's interests and asking about their lives also shows that you care as an instructor. If they feel like they belong and are truly cared about, the more likely they are to stay in school.

I agree. Surveys are a great starting point. Following up with the student after the survey is complete (face-to-face), will allow the student to open up more and realize that taking the survey was beneficial.

In the absence of any other way to probe the situation, survey gets your foot into the door as a starting point. Thereafter you can figure out another way to reach the student. Use survey as a starting point.

Have you had any personal experience using surveys, Dr. Jeff,? If so, how have they impacted you?

One can listen and communicate and create surveys forever. It boils down to trust. If the student doesn't trust you, none of this will work. I feel that your classroom and clinical behavior can produce that trust.

Sign In to comment