Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Retention

Retention really is everyones job. The school has to be committed across the board in order to be successful. Training for the staff is also necessary.

Training is important and often overlooked or deferred because of other pressures on time, Elmira. Does your institution have a regular training program? Is everyone committed to continuous self-improvement?

I find it a bit hard at times to get others on board when it comes to understanding retention. Every department has a different goal and has a different intent when it comes to retention. Their "customer service" efforts are in some way, shape, or form contributing to student retention. Training can explain the why behind it and can also show numbers. I think to really "do" retention, it has to be the culture of the school. Changing that mind set is sometimes hard to do.

I certainly agree that retention is a reflection of the school's culture, Lynda, and that changing mind sets is hard work. I don't understand why every department has a different goal. Can you explain?

Retention is the responsibility of all departments at the school. Retention is not just an academic department issue.

Retention works best when the school has interdepartmental open communication. No one department - education, student services, financial planning, or admissions - exists in a vacuum. There has to be good communication among the departments to quickly recognize potential student issues before the issues become too big, in the student's eyes, to handle.

I agree. Part of the problem with some schools is that they expect all employees to address retention but they don't provide training. Training is essential.

I certainly agree, Scott. Is there any question about this at your school?

Good point, Dara. How does your institution keep interdepartmental communication open?

I certainly agree, Margie. What forms of training are most effective for you?

I agree with this comment. We instructors can give our all, but if our supervisors aren't on board ans supportive, the student sees and feels it and won't stay.

It's a sorry situation when supervisors aren't supportive, John. Does that happen often and are there any explanations why that might happen?

Sign In to comment