Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

What do you do when they offerd you the job and you don't like the sal

Is a little scary when you got offerd the job and then you don't like the offerd to say can I get some more.

Interesting situation Walter. However, we want our grads to be so well prepared and so confident that they can negotiate their salary. And that they have a mind set to advance in their careers. It takes a lot of training so grads have those kinds of skills. And it is vital that your education department ensures that training provides required skills. It's great to strive for that. Thanks, Susan

I think that people should have more confidence in this area. When you are a student and you take your schooling seriously then you have learned entry level skills that are more advanced than basic so that you are ready for the workplace. So you know what you have been taught by instructor and palcement departments on what you can expect salary wise so go for what you know you deserve but also let them know that you are interested in furthing your career in there business and that you are taking the job seriously.

Sounds like workshops on salary negotiation is a must. There's every reason to train even recent grads to negotiate the best opportunities for themselves. Thanks, Susan

I just had a student turn a job down because they offered her $8.50come on that's even fair. After going to school and being trained by professionals in thier fields, I think that more would have been better. I do feel that the graduate could have negoiated that, but she also new what the market was paying and she didn't want to settle. I also feel that because of how the maket is right now employers are getting away with pay less and people with experience are taking these jobs, so it is making it harder for the entry level grad to get hired, or to compete with the market.

Sharon cologero

To us this is all the more reason to brand your school as THE school for training people in your field. Then employers will want your highly trained grads and not dare to often them less than market. This also seems to point to teaching negotiating skills. These skills are important for the first job and when on the job. Susan

I agree. Perhaps it would be educational for everyone involved to bring in an active hiring manager to go over these scenarios that they have encountered. How have previous employees successfully navigated that problem? Perhaps they'd be willing to give insight into how to get the top dollar out of your offer without having it rescinded.

Great idea Jeff. We believe that active hiring managers should be visiting the school on a regular basis to go over the job search process from the employer's point of view. Thanks, Susan

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities