Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Newsletters for Employers and Students

We currently do not use newsletters but I think they are a great way to highlight students to employers. What other information are included in both kinds of newsletters in each of your organizations?

Hi Heather, Newsletters are good once you figure out how long, how often to send, and what information will motivate students to read it. We believe that short and valuable content is what should be included in the newsletters. Something that is easy to implement and gets results. It's a challenge but very rewarding when you get feedback like - I look forward to your newsletter. I learn a lot. It's valuable. I read it!! Thanks, Susan

We currently have a newletter that is sent out monthly to students. The placement department provides a monthly topic and gives details on any events. It's emailed to grads as well.

Very important, in our opinion, that grads get newsletters, invitations, and information about the world of work. Even though they have graduated the school needs to be in touch and following up. It's important to know that grads have jobs in their areas in which they were trained. Thanks, Susan

Our school just started a monthly newsletter and we use an online email service like Constant Contact or Vertical Response to create and deliver. Its super easy and affordable. We are including information regarding continuing education, employment and other events at our location.

Nicole,
This sounds great, Nicole. We think Constant Contact or similar is a great way to send out emailings. They allow easy opt out so you don't look like spam. The trick is to determine what info to send and how often. Takes time to figure it out. Good idea to add direct mail every once in a while as a change to keep attention. And reminder to send out mailings especially geared to alumni. Alumni are an important and vital way to brand your school and gain enrollments and job listings. Thanks, Susan

Dr. Susan Schulz

We have a Production Makeup School and regularly have Career Workshops for graduates. We try to bring in a celebrity makeup artists from NY or LA but it does not help our out of state students. It is not feasible for them to travel for a 2 hr workshop. So I was thinking perhaps I could do some kind of a livestream excerpt in a newsletter to them. Or just a newsletter with a link to the school's Youtube page. I think that would be a great!

Kathleen,
Looks like you have identified the challenge and solved it. What about live video conference calls at a specified time. In that way you can take questions from out of town students. This could expand your enrollment to the rest of the U.S. and the world! Thanks, Susan

Dr. Susan Schulz

The newsletters, invitations and let the community know about the new grads the school have motivated new departments to offer jobs placements for our students.

Paola,
All kinds of publicity like newsletters and community outreach is great for all concerned. The community, including employers, learn about your school and see it as a resource. Good communication lets everyone know that you can all function as a Team to match job openings with your graduates. The community sees that your school is a place to gain training for jobs that are open. These relationships increase enrollment and make the job search process easier. Thanks, Susan

Dr. Susan Schulz

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities