Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Insurance for students on externship

We currently provide Professional Liability Insurance for our students during their externship program at clinical sites. This will cover them in case they injure a third party. However, some sites require you to provide workers comp policy. I have done some research with two different insurance agencies and they said this does not exist. According to them, sites should provide this for their workers or volunteers. Any suggestions?

intern/extern participation

Dear Susan, Do you have any suggestions for making sure the externs are participating to their full ability? I sometimes get reports from students that they are observing more than getting the "hands on" experience they need. I want to keep good relationships with the offices that offer the externships, however I want to make sure the students are recieving the training they need. I do not know if it is the student not asserting themselves, or the particular offices that are the problem. Thank You

Newsletters for Employers and Students

We currently do not use newsletters but I think they are a great way to highlight students to employers. What other information are included in both kinds of newsletters in each of your organizations?

Job Postings and Leads emailed to students

In the Job Opportunities section it mentions having a job openings resource book, which we do provide. It does have internet listings and leads that we hear of within the community. I do not find a lot of students looking at that resource, so we have been emailing the leads to our upcoming and recent graduates in the hopes that they will take our advice on how to apply for each posting.

Alumni Associations

We currently do not have an alumni program in place. I think it might be a good idea to stay in touch with graduates and then aid in job placement. How do organizations go about starting one of these programs? How do we keep the students interested and wanting to participate?

Did anybody has follow up with Graduate and how did it work

I was just wondering how much time would take to do this and how much result you can get. I only saying this because some times is really hard to communicated with the students and some of then don't really care of communicating with you

What do you do when they offerd you the job and you don't like the sal

Is a little scary when you got offerd the job and then you don't like the offerd to say can I get some more.

Unable to locate grads

We have a hard time with students and grads moving or canceling phones and email without notification. I have gone to lengths as far as creating a work Facebook to locate the students. What are some ways to get back in contact with graduates? At least I can still find students in school.

What is the best networking with the community

We been trying to have a good networking with our community and some thing work and some did not. So my question is what you have done that has worked for you?

Why student make it difficult to find then jobs

One of the most difficult part I believe is that there are some students that don't help you find then jobs. Instead they make it difficult by not given you the right information or they don't want to do what you tell then to do and after all that they get mad because they are not working.

How hard has been for you to place student

I believe in this time is alot harder to place student because almost no body is hiring and the one that are they alway hire from with in.

placement services

Placement services should start before the students start. Since our schools have placement standards to follow, it's important to build that relationship early with the student to ensure trust. When do you start meeting with the students?

Networking is key

I believe that the current economy will not recover for some time. This requires career services departments to work smarter, not harder. Networking in the community is vital to the success of a department. What networking have you done to increase placement?

A quick self-assessment

If you’ve just completed a training course, please consider responding to the three self-assessment questions below. Your responses will help you and other participants to get a head start on the transfer of training process.

1. What have you learned? Write a brief summary of what you’ve learned.

2. How can you apply it? List one or two ways in which you can apply what you’ve learned in your professional practice.

3. What support do you need? Identify any support or additional information that you may need to apply what you’ve learned.

Student Contact

Upon finding employment, some students are willing to keep in touch, while others are not so communicative. I would like suggestions, perhaps even a template, to email grads and encourage them to keep in touch.

Salary Negotiations

Once the salary is stated by the employer, is it effective, even appropriate, to negotiate in the current environment where there are so many qualified persons applying for the few jobs available?

Inviting a corporate speaker?

What approach is effective in inviting a corporate speaker to the school? How do you pry them away from their busy schedules?

Student will not accept interview or job offers

What to do with students who receive multiple interview or job offers, but will not accept them? I have had students in the past turn down interview offers or job offers from several employers. Their reasons are not for location, pay, benefits, etc., but for minor concerns. The student just always seems to have a reason not to accept. These are great employers that many graduates would be happy to accept an offer.

What are some good salary negotiation tips for grads?

I'm having trouble trying to find good salary negotiating tips for graduates because they have little experience... Any suggestions?

Grad Placement Recognition

In these tough placement times, I wanted to help commend the graduates on their job "wins" by going to their place of business and dropping off a Congrats balloon, and CCNN mug filled with Chocolate, etc. My reason being three fold: to recognize the grad, to meet the employer and obtain a new or reinforced contact and to let other employees know that we are proud of our graduates. We have been adding to staff in my department and I hope to get out with my new staff in the next couple of weeks to begin this concept of recognition.… >>>

Related Learning Opportunities