Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

How hard has been for you to place student

I believe in this time is alot harder to place student because almost no body is hiring and the one that are they alway hire from with in.

Hi Walter, Yes, getting a job in this workplace is challenging. That means we have to prepare our students to stand out among the crowd. This takes a lot of training in employment and job search skills and ways to increase student confidence. Many schools are now looking to set up alumni associations so they can increase their contacts with hiring managers and learn about jobs first through their grads. It also takes a strong community outreach initiative. Students enroll in career schools to get jobs. So we have to do what it takes to make them employable and to get jobs. Thanks, Susan

It has been a challenge finding palcement for our students especially right now that alot of places are not hiring. But at the same time I am always looking for new job leads and websites that post job openings daily for our students and I am constantly emailing our students those sites.

Yes Christina, it is a challenge to find jobs in these challenging economic times. But students enroll in your school to train for jobs. So the placement departments have to work more creatively to locate them. It is vital that a medical assistant be placed as a medical assistant for example, and not anything less even if it is in a medical setting. This means that the placement officer may have to spend a majority of the time networking in the community and searching for where all the jobs are. And placement needs to work with education to ensure that training programs meet the needs of the workplace. Thanks, Susan

A few years ago, you could find several employment opportunites in the newspaper, or on different websites on a daily basis. However, now it seems to be lucky to find one or two a week. I also find more and more, that doctors want one or two years experience and are not willing to give a new graduate a chance. I find this frustrating, because after spending time with the students and learing their strengths, you know as an instructor what a good job they will do, if they are only given a chance.I hope to learn how to build better relationships with perspective employers and encourage them to give new graduates a chance.

Good points Stephen. The reality is that it has been a long time since jobs are reliably posted in the newspaper and on the web. People don't refer to the classifieds as they have done before. This makes it all the more important to contact employers directly. Develop such strong relationships that you know their staffing needs just as they do. As to grad experience, that has always been a challenge. But externships often address it. The key is to have such comprehensive externships that the student gets experience to add to their resume. And ideally you have prepared the student so well that they are offered a job from the externship site. Thanks, Susan

Externship Program works very well for us. We are able to convert many of our externship positions in to actual placements. However, this do takes a lot of time and resources that we don’t have. What I have found is that the more time you dedicate on externship the better results you get. How do I get my staff to do externships with new graduates, without sacrificing placing former graduates? Is it recommended to have a full-time Externship Coordinator?

Hi Luis,
Ideally you would have a full time Externship Coordinator due to the time it takes to set these sites up. Yes, they do take a lot of time to set up and supervise so if you can't hire a full time coordinator you may need to adjust the teaching loads of some of your instructors so they can supervise the students.
Gary

My concern is with placig the students that are skilled and very motivated but do no not have a vehicle and in most cases no not even have a driver's license.

My concern is with placig the students that are skilled and very motivated but do no not have a vehicle and in most cases no not even have a driver's license.

Fernando,
That's a challenge and should be addressed in admissions. Students need to be reminded of any limitations and put a plan to overcome them. Lack of transportation is always a big problem. Possible solutions - public transportation if there is good options in your area, car pooling - a difficult challenge, get someone else to drive, borrow money for a car, etc. These are all difficult options but prospective students need to know before being accepted at your school. Thanks

Dr. Susan Schulz

Fernando,
Maybe a driver's license should be an admissions requirement.

Dr. Susan Schulz

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities