Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Did anybody has follow up with Graduate and how did it work

I was just wondering how much time would take to do this and how much result you can get. I only saying this because some times is really hard to communicated with the students and some of then don't really care of communicating with you

We strongly believe in the value of Alumni and setting up an active Alumni Association to stay in touch with grads. Yes, it is hard to stay in touch with students and grads. That's why it is a process that starts when the student is in school and smoothly transitions when the person approaches completion. Contact needs to be continuous to learn if the grad got a job, where the job is, what are other needs, and most important - what are the benefits you can offer the grad? That can certainly help to keep them involved. Let us know if you want details. Thanks, Susan

When we are doing our exit interview, we have a references format to be filled out for them. We request 3 references minimum, we recommended to named people who are living with them. This has been a great tool not only for our deparment as well for our Financial Department, too.

Good idea to get references. Then hopefully at least one will know where the grad is if you have a hard time finding them. Asking for references gets the grad to think who has some nice things to say about them. And maybe it will get them thinking that they must do good work to get great references. A reminder during the exit interview to "friend" the person on Facebook. Hopefully that will help to stay in touch with the grad. An Alumni Association will do that too. Thanks, Susan

I keep track of my graduates at 30 and 60 days in working as well as just calling every now and then to see how they are doing. It honestly only takes about an hour a week or so if you keep straight on the calling. I have found it helps a lot to have the open communication. Not only do graduates refer other people to apply for the school but they are also quick to give me job leads for my new guys getting ready to graduate. Either way this one hour a week works out well for us.

Thanks for pointing out how easy it is to stay in touch with grads and the great results you achieve. You keep their contact info up to date and provide a lot of valuable information to them. You can keep your placement stats up to date. Sounds like you are ready to think about an alumni association. Let me know if you want details. Thanks, Susan

Yes we follow up with students and employers. It is wonderful because we find out areas our students are lacking so we can offer more classes for that subject. The students also let us know there experiences and what students can expect in there work place.

I have not done this in the the past i will from now on this is a great way to follow up.

kelly,

Grads must must must be followed up. We think follow up has to start on the last day of school. It is soooo important to stay in touch. You need to know their contact info in case they change phones or address. You need to know where they are working and the details of their employment. And it makes just good sense to stay in touch. That is why so many schools are setting up alumni communities. Alumni can bring a school new students, help with retention, and give you tips about new job openings. Thanks, Susan

Dr. Susan Schulz

Yes we followup with our graduates after completion of there program, We do exit interviews before they leave. I have a facebook account set up. We sent letters out. Some students do not communicate with us but as long as we put the effort out there we tried. We get feedback especially around graduation time. You will hear from student that you never thought you would hear from again.

Doris,
You are doing lots of great activities to keep in touch with grads. But we feel it is an effort that cannot stop. Career schools are being scrutinized for not submitting complete and accurate placement information. Title IV schools will need to know the salaries of grads for several years back. This all points to the need for a consistent and persistent campaign to reach and stay in touch with grads. That is why so many career schools are setting of Alumni Communities (Maxknowledge even has a course on how to do that). Once you connect with grads then it is important to offer them lots of benefits so they will want to stay in touch and let you know when they move. Good luck, Susan

Dr. Susan Schulz

We do continue to follow up with our student I don't no about other's. We constantly phone them and e-mail them. We post our notes in Contact manager just in case others might need to reach out to them as well. We do graduate survey, employment verifications, student surveys which are keep in the students file as well in our binder.

Thanks

Doris,
Sounds like you are doing all the right things. Now the goal is to give grads reasons to stay in touch with your school and make your life a bit easier. What will motivate them? Sometimes involvement and their help will engage them and give your school some extra talent as well. Active grads will also give your students the opportunity to visit the workplaces where grads work. So many benefits of keeping in touch with your Alumni. And on a formal basis. Thanks, Susan

Dr. Susan Schulz

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities