Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Salary Negotiations

Once the salary is stated by the employer, is it effective, even appropriate, to negotiate in the current environment where there are so many qualified persons applying for the few jobs available?

We feel that the grad should be so prepared and confident when going on an interview that they will want to negotiate their compensation package. Can you imagine that to strive for? Susan

This is some timesreally uncontarble to do, Because maybe is kind of scar that you would lose the job if you this. So basically what I am saying is the same thing Anthony is saying.

It is important to teach grads how far they can go in salary negotiation and have the skills and confidence to do so. It also encourages them to research the salary ranges for the jobs they are seeking so they know if the offer is within the range. You identified some very good points. Thanks, Susan

I find that many of the offices that hire our students have certain acceptable range that they operate within. I give our students a national report with specific salary details from which to educate them on industry standards. I believe our students show their value quickly and because their jobs are technical in nature they become more valuable with experience. Therefore I suggest that they take anything within the published range and become more valuable through experience. I suggest that they request a 3 month review to discuss their progress and to allow for an increase in compensation. I believe in establishing value by being an invaluable member of the team. This works most every time. Negotiate from a position of positive strength.

Tom,

Interesting about salary ranges and negotiation. Part of the issue starts with establishing your school as THE school that produces highly qualified work ready students. Then graduates can demand top salaries within the starting range.Grads need to learn skills in salary negotiation, such as what you propose. A three month review is motivation to be the best. That further helps the image of your school. Great idea. Thanks, Susan

Dr. Susan Schulz

I like the idea of giving the student a national report on industry pay standards. Seems as though this also instills a bit of patience in the student to work towards that goal. Sensitivity I think is required in this economy on the part of both the applicant as well as the employer for the need for the job and income and the companies need to stay within budget and get the most for their money.

Jeane,
Interesting about a grad's interest in national compensation. We think they might want to know about local pay scales and opportunities where they may want to move. Most of all we think students should be focused on the job and employment all through their training. So while in class their instructors can talk about life on the job. And Alumni can visit on a regular basis to talk about the various opportunities for massage therapists. Also we feel career services should help grads think like entrepreneurs, especially in areas like massage, IT, etc. where trained grads can invent all sorts of ways to benefit from the market. Reminder that you'll need a method to track comprehensive information to prove that grads who work on their own are gainfully employed. Thanks. Good points. Susan

Dr. Susan Schulz

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities