Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

What is the best networking with the community

We been trying to have a good networking with our community and some thing work and some did not. So my question is what you have done that has worked for you?

Good questions, Walter. Community Outreach takes buy in from your top management.One person has to be assigned the job of connecting with all current and potential employers. That person has to be out in the field 80% of the time. Their goal is to make and maintain relationships. Lots of ways. In person, phone, newsletters, invites to your school, requests for assistance, joining community organizations, and lots more. Assign one person the job and then get your entire school involved to give that person contact information. This is where an Alumni Association can be used to get you the names of hiring decision makers at their companies. Thanks, Susan

That is a good Ideas and we will try to implent then in our placement office. thank you

Great. It is important to get buy-in from your school. And then get participation from everyone at school. An alumni association is a great way to reach out to the community. Thanks, Susan

I want to have the person out in the field, but how do we get upper management to cooperate when we are struggling to meet our placement numbers and they want everyone on the phones, instead of in the field? I agree with you totally about being in the community and the networking that is needed, but I need help in convincing the "higher ups" that we need a Job Developer. One thing that I think will help is that we are doing an Alumni Association but that might not be the immediate assistance we need now.

Placement, networking, job developing, community outreach, and the development of an alumni community are all intertwined. The actual work is like being on the phone except with more relationship building and increased results. And it reduces marketing costs and prepares your school to deal with gainful employment reporting. Sounds like a bargain when one Community Outreach person can accomplish all that! Susan

I agree that it would be a bargain and I'd like to find the person who could and would be able to do all of this and meet metrics! Wouldn't that be a blessing? We are in the early stages of developing this job and as I delve into it further, I think it will take all of the team's efforts with the assigning of one person overseeing this aspect of the career services department, but I don't want to overburden the director. My director is trying to do all of it and I certainly don't want him to burn out. Any suggestions on how we could choose the right person for this vast undertaking?

Suggest you find someone on staff who knows your school, who is social, network oriented, aggressive, persistent, creative. Otherwise look outside the school for someone who has staffing experience. Good luck! Susan

I feel that the combo approach works the best. You have to be on the phones, there is no question to that, but back it up with a visit. I have been doing and advising my staff is to set appointment up after you make the conneciton on the phone. You make the contact and then build the relationship by bring out the info to them and you can also bring along resumes of those non working grads to leave with the contact.
It's been working great.

Sharon cologero

We agree that community outreach is very important. It is necessary to visit every work site and potential employer. See first hand what is needed on the job and who they are hiring. Then be sure that your grads look even better and have better qualifications - qualifications that exceed expectations. thanks, susan

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities