Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Graduation survey!

I think it's very important for each of graduation student must submit the survey question?

looking for job?

Its anyone have have any idea where to find a job with this economy?

Job Placement

Placing our students in job positions through job fairs is one good source. In job fairs we get to mingle with managers of facilities, we get to pass out our business cards, and we get to know each other a little better and of coarse get more familiar with what they are expecting in their facilities, which is a big plus to our students. This can also open doors to our students not only for intern externship but also for employment.

Job Fairs!!!!!

Something that works a lot in our department are the job fairs. Every month the workforce orginize job fairs for the community. We always try to go to check job opennings or even just to create a relationship with the HR Managers of the community. We encourage the students to attend the job fairs so they can see all the job opportunities in the area.

Job Fair/Job Placement

Job fairs are a good source for job placement because I get to know what job opening there are for their company (medical). I also get to know the point of contact (Human Resources) and how I can help them fill their vacant positions. Another good source is the Texas Workforce Solutions. This is a good source because all job opening in the city are using place on their website (Work In Texas) for whoever is interested in applying for that certain position.

Training

The subject was very interesting and useful for our department.

Training

Training was very informative,knowledgable, and useful for future.

Additional tools for students with barriers for employment?

Hi Susan, Any additional tools for students who lack the skills to become employable. In the workforce development system, we have some students with several barriers to find employment. Thanks.

Developing a toolkit

Hi, I am in the process of re-designing the material used by our Placement Department. I would like to hear from other colleagues what are you using to attract new employers and what has been more effective during this economy? I am currently using fryers, e-mails, and lots of phone calls. New ideas please?

What kind of board would you suggest for a Vocational College?

We are a Vocational College and our courses run continously. If we had a board of every graduate it would take up a whole wall! Any suggestions?

Placement enhancement

Is there a limit on community resources and what agencies are off limits.

Placement enhancement

It seems obvious to me that students view success in placement as a job, but are there other just as viable results placement can offer?

How Important is student Self Esteem ?

I've found that every student preparing to graduate and enter the job search definitely needs to have an individual session with the Placement dept at which time, without pressure, an open discussion centers on the confidence of the grad. Everyone benefits from candidly discussing any insecurities and fears they may have, especially when they discover they are not only normal but not alone. The key is turning their fear into a positve and it all starts when they know they are not alone in their search.

Any suggestions for placing grads that lack required experience?

It seems very challenging to place graduates in any field who have little to no experience other than the internship experience. Any suggestions on what can be done?

Preparing students with the proper tools for Job Seeking!

It is important that this department prepare students for success. Providing the students the right tools to go out into the job seeking scene will provide them the opportunity to land a great job. Some of the basic questions that students ask themselves is: What should I say? What kind of questions will they ask me? Im I qualified for this job?. These are great questions that this department can handle to ease the stress that students and post graduates endure. Providing workshops that help students understand their skills and areas where they need to tune is a great service… >>>

Networking Events to grow your employer database

While growing your database of possible employers, what are some useful ideas? We were thinking about doing social networking events providing refreshments and snacks. Do you feel like this would be an acceptable setting to introduce employers to the school and possible graduates?

How far can you take interviewing skills?

As a school director, I very much believe in first impressions, and dressing for success! When teaching interviewing skills, I have often wanted to make it mandatory to see a student put in the effort to dress for success for a real interview. Would I be breaking any discrimination rules or ethics? We have a very detailed outline of casual professional dress.

Setting up a placement timeline

Once a student graduates, what is an acceptable time line for them to become placed? Is there a better system, or example to use as a guideline?

Anyone have any ideas on where to find Healthcare jobs in this economy

Temp agencies are not what they used to be.. to just get started with zero experience and be placed as needed to fill in... and learn as you go... with our bad economy and with the holidays just past.. I am seeing a big slow down on our students getting placed... is there anything new to try? any new websites to check out.. other than the norm: careerbuilder, Monster, craigs list, jobnet.. local newspapers?

Placement Department

It's very important to stay in touch with employers who hire graduates.
Related Learning Opportunities