Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Respect

Respect is one of the most important factors in good communication. With respect you are able to build your relationship. With respect when the other person is speaking you are listening and letting them finish the conversation. With respect you are opening the doors letting that person know that they are always welcome.

P/T teachers and "buy in" as PR mouth pieces, in and out of class

How can a school instill the idea that they are the drivers of marketing? Inside the class room there should be multiple yet subtle ways to "sell" another related class. Then, it seems more formal ways at the beginning and end of a course. Let alone, in passing, like: what's next for your classes?. Outside of the school, shouldn't there be a way to promote thinking of this position as more than just a job? Open to feedback. Thanks.

Back to Basic's

It's a great refresher tool to listen too. It's really just going back to basic's and listening to the student. Which is to the up most important thing.

Admissions

Proprietary Schools sre being unfairly singled out! We provide much needed technical training tto feed a large segment of the workforce.

This brought it full circle

In our new environment, and having worked in other schools, I was please to see that my college has already implemented so much of these practices already.

The tools

This section made me realize how important it is for me to have the reps the sharpest tools in there toolbox. They need to be able to present the most recent and accurate data at all times, not just when the student asks for it, but to use it to build value as well.

Good Stuff

A great refresher on listening

Relationship Building

I think the most important step in this process really is questions asking and listening to understand. If a student sees you genuinely listening to there concerns it goes a long way

Listening skills

Which listening method have you found to be most useful? How did you/do you practice these skills?

Common practices

What are some of the common practices that you all use to prepare for face to face communication. How do you un-nerve?

Face to face communication

I've found in my professional career, although it can tend to be a bit difficult to be all things to all people, face to face communication is the most effective form of communication in my line of work. It makes agreement easier.

Listen effectively

Keep office quiet

Active listening

Being engaged?

Mirroring

Is is not modeling

Body Language

Very true

Programs

What kind of programs do you have in place in the community? From what you’ve learned in this course, what programs can you put in place? What kinds of surveys and outcomes assessment plans do you have in place? What are you doing with the information? For the second time annually, this particular university participates in many different fundraisers that help the community. For example during Christmas we participate in Toys for Tots. During Breast Cancer Awareness month we raise money to help find a cure for cancer. During March, we participate in the March of times. All of these… >>>

Visuals

How is your school using visuals, radio, and TV to reach students and prospects? What could you be doing more effectively? What advisory boards do you have set up? Are you getting the maximum results from these boards? What could be changed so that the boards and your school benefit? How can Internet marketing play a role in your publicity and public relations efforts? This university does an amazing job with ensuring there are plenty of visuals for the community to see. At career fairs, water bottles, pens, lanyards, coffee mugs and draw-sting bags are all examples of items that… >>>

Getting Information Out

How do you get information about your school out to your community? Who is responsible. As a result of what you learned so far in this course, what new strategies will you put in place? Who will you assign to coordinate these efforts? Personally, I do not have much knowledge of how information is pushed out to the community. I imagine student services works hard to ensure within our own community are up to date on things that are going on within the university. Outside of the university, we have military out reach coordinators who are responsible for going to… >>>

Current efforts...

What publicity and public relations efforts does your school already have in place? What is working and what is not? What changes do you think you can make to improve your results? Our university uses multiple efforts to establish and maintain working relationships with the community. We frequently host career fairs and meetings with outside vendors/employers and offer tours to anyone who is interested. We also have a heavy media presence online and on television. Majority of our leads come through radio advertisement. All avenues seem to work well, however, I believe that for our demographic, we need to build… >>>

How many calls?

How many voicemails are too many voicemails when trying to get a perspective student to call you back ?