Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Understand culture diversity, understand and connect students

Understanding is the basic of communication. Based on understanding and communication, students will be connected and build up mutual trust between us and students.

Empower students & open mind

Empower students and guide them to learn the knowledge. Open mind to students, understand empathy sympathy show right body language, open mind to listen to students

behave properly - by using body language

talk with a list. behave properly by using body language. adapt communication and reflect carefully be smart and structure the communication

Students that are to shy to even say name outloud

I have a student that is so shy knows the answers but just will say them outloud! Anyone know how to deal with this.

Following up with High school Seniors - Best Follow up Procedures

What are some suggestions in maintaining contact with high school leads?

How to spark interest in a silent prospect?

How do you spark interest in a prospect who simply calls to get the cost of tuition and it is not interested in hearing anything other than that specific answer?

Understand Cultures is Important for Body Language

I definitely agree with Culture . I think finding it is not very difficult. It can be figur out by the way they talk and the their appearance.

Listening to student talking on and on..

Listening is an art. Usually student come to me and talking about everything like their personal life, difficulty with adjusting themselves with new society, culture, and so other new immigrant problems. I try my best to find way to direct them To main subject without hurting them. But i listen to them.

Having a positive approach

Having positive thinking and smiley face will bring a positive impact on your professional and personal life.

Face to face communications

In my opinion, face to face communications and creating friendly environment with the student Was always helpful to me and I think student feel more confidant and trust. In that way when I am close to them I can read their mind and expression.

Developing A Relationship

developing a relationship is key !!!1

keeping students engaged when they do not start for a while

Does anyone have any best practices with how to keep students on board to start at your college once they have signed up but do not start for a while?

VM and Call Questions

I really like the questions offered in the presentation, especially: "How can I help you find a future?" and "Where do you find yourself in two years?"

No Show

I appreciated the advice the presentation offered when handling a situation where the potential student did not show up. Rather than ask them if they still want to come in, simply ask them when they can reschedule. Thanks!

How Much Will This Help?

I understand giving the person a reason to call back, but with things like creativity, clarity and confidence, how much does that really help? are there any statistics out there showing the increase call return rate? I seem to leave really good voice mails and it barely has a return rate. I get a higher return rate from students I don't leave a message because they want to know who called, though when they find out they hang up immediately. what is your perspective on this?

How to keep the communication on track if deviated from the main goal?

Dear Colleagues, This is really very important since so many people are in non focus mode they start to take you away from the main goal of your communication, (time waster). Please share your responses. Abdul

Written communication is it dangerous?

Dear All, What do you think about the written communication since it is the best way to documentation, how to be in the safe side especially when situation getting worse and blames goes to each others. Thanks, Abdul

Listen, Connect and Close... The Power of the Script

I'm curious to know if anyone uses a script to keep conversations structured and focussed in order to truly get to the essence of why a potential student has reached out to us, or do most Admissions people just fly by the seat of their pants?

Stopping the Conversation

Is it wrong to tell someone that the conversation is leading no where? How would you end a conversation with out making the person feel like you are no longer interested in what they are saying. An example is when I have a student who only wants to come into my office to complain about something, but when you provide solutions or explanations, they are not receptive to it. I find diffusing this type of conversation challenging so the student leaves on a good note. Would it be wrong to ever let them leave on a bad note and try… >>>

Culture and Religion Challenges

How do you overcome challenges presented with students when culture or religion limits they way that they effectively communicate with you? Some times I have students who, no mater what, will not shake hands or make eye contact. It does come across as disinterested or bored.