Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Internships v. externships

I work for a school that has an internship. The value of this is huge, our students are able, under instructor supervision, to practice their techniques in a safe and controlled environment. We provide them clients but it is up to them to determine how they will communicate with them. I have staff members that, when they went through school, did an externship. They werent always doing the work they trained for but rather other duties in the spa or clinic they were externing in. They didnt feel prepared for doing the work once they were hired on somewhere. I believe in the internship philosophy.

Andrew,
Hi Andrew,
We so believe in internships - even for those programs that don't require them. You are right - students get to practice their skills under supervision. It makes it easier for them to seek employment. The operative words are - under supervision. We believe that the internship or externship experience must be very very organized. There needs to be the main contact teacher plus on site supervisors. The student must complete specific tasks and learning objectives and get regular formal and informal feedback. The formalized externship program is what works. Thanks

Dr. Susan Schulz

The externship works best because it prepares students for what the real world working will entail. It teaches them what the working conditions are and gets them used to being in a work routine.

Deirdre,
We very much believe in experiential learning like externships. We advocate the importance of training the student about the externship experience and that it should be considered an extended job interview. We feel that employers should be coached to look at the extern as a possible employee. Employers have the opportunity to see how that extern could fit in. It's an ideal hiring situation. Thanks, Susan

Dr. Susan Schulz

Sign In to comment