Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The Advisory Board

Employers for relevant career areas. For instance we have multiple Programs that train office workers at multiple levels. We have some specialty programs that train Bookkeepers, Medical Office and IT skills that require separate Advisory Committees. They have all employed our graduates and feel like they have a stake in our Programs.

In addition I like to have at least one member of the Alumni for that career field in each Advisory Committee.

Our Operations Manager and an instructor act as host facilitator and recorder for their meetings. We also make provisions for Online Conference attendees to allow as many of the Committee to attend as possible.

Tim - glad to hear from you in this course!

Having an alumnus from each program is absolutely a great idea. They are likely employed in the field (at least we hope :)) so they represent both the "field" and the view from being a former student. They make a great bridge between the two parties of interest. Most of my experience with advisory board meetings shows that this person is the MVP of the meeting.

The individuals selected for inclusion to the institution's formal Advisory Board, should possess a true interest and strong desire to offer professional advice and willingness to participate in the education and training process of a new program in their field and community

It is important that advisory board members hold current credentials(if applicable), and have obtained at least 5-years industry experience be included on the decision-making team. Individuals that meet the stated criterion bring a "reality" perspective to the new program process relative to need, training focus, and employment outlook.

At the last school I worked at, we had to have at each advisory board:

3 employers (some may need special certifications if the program required it)
a working graduate (At least one)
a current student
any special people needed for accreditation (for example, some programs required a librarian be part of the program, so they would be in the meeting).
A member of admissions
A member of Career Services
A member of student services

At the last school I worked at, we had to have at each advisory board:

3 employers (some may need special certifications if the program required it)
a working graduate (At least one)
a current student
any special people needed for accreditation (for example, some programs required a librarian be part of the program, so they would be in the meeting).
A member of admissions
A member of Career Services
A member of student services

In designing the new Career Services program at my current school, I think that we should follow a similar format.

3 POTENTIAL employers (since we don't have current employers at this time)
1 current student
All faculty (Director of Admissions, Dean, President, Vice President, Director of Communications)
Personal connections of staff that have worked in the field before.

I think that the best people to have on your board are those with most interest in having a say in the discussion

Jennie,

That is a solid advisory board, especally the current student. Sometimes, some organizations are not comfortable having a current student in an advisory board meeting, I think it is critical. There shouldn't be anything to hide :).

In my experience, career services is the leader of the show. IF you have more than one or two in a CS department, divide them up by program to be present. If one CS advisor/director, make sure they make it around to each group for some insight and discussion.

Christopher Nickell

Candis,

The "requirement" is the beginning but advancing your advisory board to include only those who are vocal, offer input and take their role seriously as a member of your board it the next step. When you have to remind them the meeting is over and everyone else has left the meeting...that is a great advisory board!

Christopher Nickell

I would like to see people from the institution who know the intimate details of how the institution works. Also, I would like to see Personnel Heads from surrounding buisinesses and others who might use our graduates.

Allen,

are you saying you want to see more operations people attending advisory board meetings? they should!

Christopher Nickell

An advisory board should be composed of members of the school, including those involved with curriculum development such as program directors/faculty, a representative from the academics, admissions and career services departments, alumni, employers in the field, and people employed in the field. Having all these parties involves ensures that feedback received encompasses the various areas affected by the program.

An Advisory Board or committee is very important for program decision-making. Who will you have on your board and what is their affiliation with your institution?

Sign In to comment