Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Instructor's Experience

In hiring a new Instructor for the Massage Therapist program I look for someone who has a minimum of three years experience working as a licensed Massage Therapist either in a Chiropractor's office, in a Day or Medical Spa or was self-employed as a licensed Massage Therapist for at least three years.

I agree. I am an Surgical Technology instructor, and I totally agree that experience in your given field is extremely important. I also agree that 3 years is a great window for the experience to have "seasoned" the person.

K.C.,

Every field of study is different, so three years may not be enough in some fields. I tend to think the experience requirement needs to be higher in firlds like surgical technology or medical lab technology where lives depend on students learning all they need to know. In addition to time in the field, I try to look for varied experiences within the field.

Jeffrey Schillinger

I feel a massage instructor needs a minimum of five years in the field and other teaching experience as well. Mastery of a subject is a life-long journey, teaching is organic as well. Knowlege and experience contribute to a good instructor, as well as the ability to understand your students and keeping an open mind.

Our company has a 3 year experience minimum for hiring our faculty. What I look for in hiring a "qualified" individual is passion and success in the industry. Along with knowledge, skills, and other personal characteristics.

I have found that no matter how much experience a massage therapist has or where they have worked, most don't have the book knowledge needed to explain how a muscle contracts in detail. Ask any massage therapist how many muscles attach to the scapula and watch them struggle. My students know more about the human body by the book without a book than most licensed tharapists. When it comes to working on a client, experience is key. When it comes to teachng, fresh knowledge can't be beat. I would suggest hiring a licensed therapist fresh out of school with a bachelors degree to teach A&P and an experienced licensed massage therapist to teach hands on therapy. Hope this helps.

Sign In to comment