Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

CE Courses vs Degree programs

The NY Times reports that "short vocational programs leading to a certificate are becoming the kudzu of the educational world. Instead of investing in a master’s, professionals itching to move up the career ladder can earn certificates in marketing strategies, credit analysis or even journalism."

In an economy that increasingly rewards specialization, more and more institutions are offering these programs, typically a package of five or six courses, for credit or not, taken over three to 18 months. Some cost around $1000. But the NY Times asked "Are they worth the paper they’re printed on?" The answer was: Not always.

Robert,

Interesting topic. What's your opinion? The institutions that I am currently involved with are for-profit and seek to maximize the revenue-generating potential of such certificates. The not-for-profit institution I was previously involved with refused to grant certificates, only degrees. yet they are struggling financially. In one sense, I see the certificate concept as a win-win for professionals, since it shows professional development. It also makes financial sense for the institution to leverage its current resources to offer a new program at low capital expenditure.

Lisa Sharpe

Sign In to comment