Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Part of Intro course

I never thought of it until taking this course, but Netiquette is something I am now going to write into our Intro. course. We've had some issues with students who have really gone off the deep end and made racial comments and told some hazing stories that really offended other students. Those students then complained to the school. One student even felt afraid. One thing we do not have in place is a Netiquette Guide but I am going to write one now. Thanks to this course I now have the idea. I would like to learn more in depth about this. Any advice?

Cheryl,

Very good. I'm thrilled you thought about this while taking this course. I have built "netiquette" information around respect. Students should respect others opinions, work, ideas, etc., but everyone should respect each person as an individual as well. This is a good time to also address whether or not you will accept texting language or if proper English must be used in discussion boards, etc. Also, think about consequences if they violate the policies in place.

Great job.

Cheryl and Tena,

A very clear and concise "Netiquette Policy" has been in effect with my online school since I started teaching with the school over three years ago. Respect is at the core of the policy, with a few very clear rules set forth. It works.

Only twice have I had to "report" students to the "proper people." The first incident happened over two years ago, and was totally racist in nature. After contacting the offended, the offender and the required authority, both students contacted me and the required authority to tell us that things had been worked out between them. The 2 students, with the approval of my Dean and me, submitted a united email to all the class members, which included a profound apology from the offender and an acceptance of the apology from the offended - amazing learning experience for the entire class.

I wish I could say the second event, which involved a personal attack on me, ended so well. The school staff was supportive in every way possible, and the whole ugly episode was taken care off very quickly. This was mostly possible due to the "Netiquette Policy" the school has had in place for years. Respectful communication makes teaching much easier.

Janet,

Any type of Netiquette/Acceptable Use/Academic Integrity policy is a must. I am glad to see it was helpful in your case.

It is a shame we need these policies, but we do. Thanks!

Use common sense in human communication. Human communication is completely different than technical communication and actually unrelated.

Scott,

Interesting point that human and technical communication are unrelated. The key is that communication, in whatever format, is essential.

Thanks!

This is unfortunate. I can say that I have not had to deal with this at this extreme. I have had students rudely challenge me about grades, but that is about it.

I do discuss netiquette during my very first live chat session. And, after completing this course, will incorporate some additional discussion on communication in general into future chats.

I think that this is a really important topic that does not always get discussed. Technology has such a huge impact on how we communicate, not just in the online learning environment but also in our day-to-day lives as well as the professional world. I think this is just as important as teaching students about english, math and business.

Ultimately, I think the best thing we can do for our students is to model the appropriate type of communication.

Shelly,

Your statement about technology having a hugh impace on how we communicate is right on target. Technology can be our friend or enemy and your are correct in that modeling is key to effective netiquette. Plus, as you mentioned, netiquette rules.

Nice job.

Netiquette is so simple yet so difficult. I include this in my online and ground course. I make the students in ground course write and email me a communication. It is something that has to occur because I belive that students need to be aware of how their words are interperted by the reader

Stephanie,

You are correct. What many times seems simple - is not. Thanks for your input.

We also use the Netiquette concept in our classes. Both the class itself has it posted, as well as being in the downloadable syllabus. Here is part of what we use;
Netiquette Do’s and Don’ts- (From Learn to Learn Online at: http://www.waol.org/learnToLearn/Module4/mod4_322-1.htm)
Internet etiquette ("Netiquette") involves general rules of communication with fellow learners online. When we send an email message, we are sending out a written "first impression" of ourselves to those who receive our message.
1. There's really a person on the other end. When communicating with others online, it's critical to note that you're dealing with other people. Be careful not to come across as rude: if you couldn't say something to someone's face, you probably shouldn't say it online.
2. Respect others' privacy. Always get permission before forwarding a person's email message to you. Do not forward email or information from others without their permission.
3. Follow ethical rules. If you encounter an ethical dilemma in cyberspace, consult the code you follow in real life.
4. Respect other people's time....etc.

As others have stated, it is important to have guidelines posted so both students and instructors know what behaviors will be considered unacceptable.

John,

Tahnks for the link. As you note, it is important to recognize the person at the other end. Many times students just feel like numbers and not people. Thanks!

It is so true. People (not just students) are more prone to speak through the written word in a tone that they would never say to someone face-to-face. I have always used the Netiquette guide and still have to monitor the discussion threads reminding the students of being a professional.

I do like the discussion threads because it enables those students who may not have spoken up in class a chance to engage in the discussion. Monitoring the quiet ones is always a challenge.

Patricia,

You have been one busy person today! Thanks for your dedication to the forums. Using a netiquette guide is perfect. Thanks!

Thanks for this resource. I too am going to incorporate it into my "Course Policies". The students are required to sign and acceptable use policy that touches on some of these topics but I like the detailed expectations. You can even have a little fun by displaying examples of what not to do and why they are inappropriate as a way to apply the info. There are so many examples on the popular social media sites taht it should be an easy to find funny "what not to do's".

Tyra,

Glad the resource is helpful. Anything we can do to share information with each other and not have to "reinvent the wheel" is beneficial. And, you're right, you can use some humor in the examples. Students appreciate appropriate humor.

Cheryl,
At my school, we have an official Netiquette policy in place; however, I do go over this, as this is often a new term to students. Also, since I teach an English course, I use the Netiquette topic to introduce students to audience and tone as well as get them started on breaking bad habits of TextType. Giving examples of what to do and what not to do is a great way to start students off on the right foot!

Alaina and Cheryl,

Love that you have a standard netiquette policy. So important!

Interpretation is key when students write and share their thoughts in the classroom. Reminding them to write for their audience often helps and so does encouraging them to read their work aloud. Still, there are some students who simply say whatever they want no matter how rude. How do you handle this type of situation?
Lisa

Lisa,

We teach to our audience and they should write to their audience. When I see a rude comment, I copy/paste it in an email to the student who posted it and email the student explaining why it was rude. I also delete from the posting and tell the student that continued rude postings will be deleted an no points will be earned.

Sign In to comment