Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Codes of Conduct with Faculty

It may seem to go without saying, however it must be said; faculty need a Code of Conduct too! SOmetimes we need to remind our faculty that there are proper and unacceptable ways to interact with students online. For example it is not acceptable to discipline a student in a discussion forum in front of all other students. Once it's out there...it's out there! The thing about the INternet is that once something is on the Internet it never goes away, and being on an online environment you cannot take something back. I believe instructors and faculty should be required to go through an orientation of whet Netiquette and Code of Conduct are in an online platform and what as a College we expect and are willing to support, or not, once it's "out there".

Cheryl,

Oh - Right ON! You are correct. Faculty and students can both benefit from a Code of Conduct. An orientation for both faculty and students would be beneficial to the online classroom.

Thanks for your input.

Cheryl,

I have been in situations where the need for a code of conduct for faculty (and administration) would have been very valuable. Like you said, once something is put on the internet, it can never be taken away.

Here is an event that happened this year: A student decided to "take me to task" is a class discussion. The language broke every known rule of netiquette. Luckily, I was able to remove the offending post quickly, but it still had been read by a few students. Naturally, the students did the "normal" thing and passed the info on to the rest of the class. The end result was that none of the students would communicate, for any reason, with the offending student for several weeks. I still wonder if the offending student was trying to get the other class members to "fall in line" behind him. Very sad. If only the student had followed the student code of online communication conduct. . .

Just goes to prove that we all need codes of conduct to help us get through what could be very rough times.

I totally agree. EVERYONE should have a code of conduct to follow. Instructors lead by example!!

Shelly,

I couldn't have said it better. In more than one of your postings you discuss modeling and that is so essential.

Thank you for your thoughts.

it's obvious these conduct policies are general rules and regulations applied in the professional environment and in our everyday society.Nobody's perefct , but these outlines and policies enhances both the instructors and students the boundaries of their communication and their interaction level.it also helps
the learning environment to be more comfortable.

Sharmalan,

You are right. Nobody is perfect, but guidelines certainly help emphasize respect of others. Thank you.

As I'm new to online teaching, I feel it is important for me to me well-read in the code of conduct and netiquette. That way, I can model the appropriate behaviors...thanks.

Nicole,

Modeling is powerful. Keep up the good work!

I would agree Cheryl, it goes both ways. Students have to act and conduct themselves as present and future professionals as do the instructors. Usually though, the more that you act within the construct of the code of conduct, the more likely that they are to follow.

Daniel & Cheryl,

The codes of conduct are important and they help students understand their expectations. Nice job.

Yes I agree with you. Common sense should always be exercised. Corrective measures should always be done in private, as if done in a f2f environment.

Instructors, besides needing to be facilitators, also need to seriously take the role of a leader, and as a leader one should not submit to emotional reactions but rather meticulous actions to deal with students misbehavior specially if they are adult learners.

I agree! Instructors also need to understand and be informed of what is acceptable and what is not acceptable when dealing with students in an Online environment.

Do you think it is acceptable to "friend" students via school sponsored social networking sites?

Kim

Cheryl, I agree with you totally. We should never discuss a student's grades (a violation of FERPA) or chastise them online. We should follow the Golden Rule and treat others as we would like to be treated. Instructors should not demand, but earn respect!

Cathleen & Cheryl,

You are right. Remember too that as instructors we serve as role models for the students. Earning respect begins by respecting others. Thanks!

This is a good point. I think that the code of conduct written out for students should state that responses/posts should be respectful. The instructor should adhere to this same code of conduct. I think it should go without being said that being respectful means not putting down a student in front of their peers.

Victoria,

You are so right. The instructor must uphold the code as well and serve as a role model to the students. Nice job.

Interesting way to describe a rubric, Cheryl - a Code of Conduct for faculty!

Rubrics indeed provide this for instructors to manage discussions and assignments.

I couldn't agree with you more. Most of the rules of a traditional classroom and how things are to be handled should be translated to the online environment. What we do online is written and there forever so we need to be respectful!

Faryl,

You are right on with the fact that written information is forever. Students need to understand the impact (good or bad) that they can make when making written comments. Ensuring that everyone is respected in the online environment, is essential. Thanks for your input.

Sign In to comment