Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Levels of Knowledge -Technology and Otherwise

One thing most of my students have in common is a thirst for knowledge. Otherwise . . .

The general age range is from late teens to late 60's/early 70's. Some have been working with computers for years, others acquired their first computers when they signed up for online classes. Education levels go from GED to working on a second or third degrees,due to career changes or returning to school after being out of the education system for years. The list of differences could go on and on. By far, by teaching on line, I am working with the most diverse groups of people I have ever had in "one" classroom.

In my classes, students are required to introduce themselves within the first few weeks of class. This has provided a starting point for general student initiated "let's help each other out" communities in various classes. Not only are the more technology aware students helping others, but advice has been flowing in other areas also - such as job search and child care. Mostly, all I have done is encourage communcation, so classes can run more smoothly; the students have done the rest. (Granted, this does not happen in all classes.) I am contantly amazed at the willingness of students to help each other out.

Jane,

It is fantastic when you have students who are thirsty and are like sponges soaking up everything you give them. The online classroom does open up the walls of the brick and mortar to all types and generations of students.

Having students introduce themselves is great. One thing that i have found helpful is to have students create a home page or just a discussion board post describing themselves, then they have to find two other people with whom they have something in common with and comment on their home page/post.

Another thing that I think many students like is writing a 3-5 sentence paragraph about themselves, copying/pasting it in to Wordle.net and creating a Wordle about them. They are fun. It's a neat way to introduce yourself. The larger the words, the more times it appears in the text. Try it.

Thank you.

Like the two ideas you gave me. I will be checking into them. Thanks.

You do have some challenges with the age group!

You are more than welcome. Have a great holiday.

I love the idea of having students introduce themselves. I do think that this goes a long way towards breaking the ice. The other thing I think the discussion board assignments really do too are help students see how very similar they are. I often remind them that while they all come here on a different path, now that they are here together they really have a lot in common (i.e. goals, dreams, focus, etc.).

Another thing that I have been able to do in some of my classes is form a small study group of sorts. My particular course does not have any type of group project so I am able to utilize the small group area for study groups. When students have been interested in these I have found that they are really beneficial not just in terms of the course content but also in creating that sense of community. I have a lot of students who feel very comfortable in the online environment who are more than willing to share what they know and support those who do not.

Shelly,

You are right. Breaking the ice is a good thing as it helps get the class feeling more comfortable and a part of the class as well.

Study groups are also effective in helping students reach the course goals and create a community feel.

Nice job.

I have the opposite problem. The average age of my student is 40 and some have never sent an attachment on an email. My program is 15 months and the first two terms include computer courses so by the time they get to the core courses, they are more prepared.

I will say that these students have mastered the social network scene. They are also proficient in texting and I do grade down in the discussion threads if they using texting language/abbriviations in their response. I remind them that they would not respond to their supervisor in an email by texting.

Patricia,

It's great that you give them the guidelines so they know when they can/cannot use texting. It's all about communicating what is expected of them. Thank you.

I agree, most students will lend a hand to help out the newer ones especially when it comes to computer assignments. I utilize a portal system in my classes and the students who have had me as an instructor will help the new ones navigate through assignments

Donna,

Excellent. Sounds like you have set up an environment in which students feel comfortable helping others. This is great in helping them establish good working relationships with each other. Nice job.

We provide an introduction discussion forum in which students share some information with the instructor and with fellow students.

I respond to every introductory post to initiate a sense of community in the course.

I like the idea of calling each student to welcome them to class and/or create a welcome introduction using screen sharing software.

Kim

Kim,

Nice job. To get the "ball rolling" in the discussion forum, it's good to develop that relationship up front. It does make them feel more welcome and a part of the class. Thanks for sharing.

It is very true that the most basic common bond of students is their thirst for knowledge. At the same time, it also brings one of our greatest communication challenges due to the incredible diversity of student profiles. Personal introductions are definitely a great way to facilitate and initiate student-student interactions as well as give instructors a better idea of the class make-up. Perhaps one direct method is to simply take a short poll to assess each student's preference and skill level when it comes to various modes of technology used for communication. However, what expectations is it appropriate for instructors to have of their students when it comes to the various technological methods of communication employed in the on-line classroom experience?

MaryCatherine,

I have a colleague that simply asks his students, "How do you want me to communicate with you?" Choices include email, announcements/discussion board in BBoard, or Facebook. The students vote and that's the way he does it. They get to choose so they better be checking consistently. Just one way someone does it. There are various ways.

Sign In to comment