Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Pattern of Communication

When establishing a pattern of communication, what do you believe are the two most important things to consider and why?

Two important things to consider are frequency of communication and communication format. For example, it is important to both tell your students how often you will be online checking email, discussion boards, etc, as well as establishing appropriate use of the different forms. For example, email for urgent matters and discussion boards for general comments and conversation. It is not uncommon for a student to try to ask me important and time sensitive question in a discussion board where I may not read every post made each day, and certainly not multiple times a day, as opposed to my email which I check multiple times a day. It is important that this is communicated clearly to the student.

Lindsey,

Communication which is timely and frequent is important. Thanks for providing your examples as well. It makes your "communication" more clear - just as we want to do for our students.

I believe the two most important factors are timeliness and positivity. As an instructor, students need to know their messages or posts on a discussion board will be replied to within a given time frame. Making students wait days for a response hurts the communication process. Keeping a positive tone even if students are not performing at a high level is also key. If the instructor shows he believes in the students, they are more likely to believe they can be successful.

Derek,

Being positive in your comments and providing timely feedback is essential. Students must be able to clearly communication and decipher the message immediately. So, concise communication can benefit all as well. Thanks.

Patterns of communication are timeliness and clear, concise communication.
If you have not set times to communicate or times for discussion - then the student will not particpate, obviously and also feels like no one cares. When there is no returned emailed - when there are no guidelines for when that can take place as well.

Sarah,

Love your "C" words: clear, concise, communication. If you combine that with timeliness, as you noted, the pattern will emerge. Nice job.

Dr. Tena:
Daily email response is critical in establishing
student trust. Students need to know that there is a real person within the virtual classroom. Discussion boards allow a medium for the students to communicate with their peers, again solidifying the fact that there are real people within the virtual setting. Communication fosters learning through interaction.

In order to establish an effective pattern of communication, I think first expectations should be clear. I've been in online courses that required a minimum amount of postings expected and stated it should be more than "I agree", but not much beyond that. Since then I've had students that have significant stress about how much to write in a posting. They are prolific writers and tend to make them too long, or the opposite, So now I give them a length...one paragraph that consists of 5-8 sentences. Or something like that.

The second thing would probably a predictable time frame for expected feedback. They have lives too and it's annoying having to constantly check to see if the instructor has answered. If they know that I'm on every day between certain times to respond to questions then they can relax a little until that time.

I think that the two most important things to consider when establishing a pattern of communication would include:

1.) establishing instructor availability and response to students, because then students know what to expect with feedback and response and it avoids the instructor being 'on call' 24/7.
2.) guidelines for communication conduct like rules of netiquette, proper posting guidelines for discussions, etc. so students have same expectations to follow, mannerisms, and mutual respect.

Patricia,

Yes, we can't have a continual pattern without availability of the instructor and guidelines for proper communication. Good point!

Carol,

When the students understand the expectations, they can more easily move forward in the communication or toward the objectives. Timely communication enhances this as well. Nice job.

Bonnie,

I like that you use the term "real person." So many times online students feel like a number and that some "computerized robot" is in charge. ;-) The "person" effect has great impact. Thanks for bringing that up.

The CCC is very important in regards to getting students to recognize the difference in academia and social systems. With the use of Rubrics, making sure students understand that there is a standard will aid in ensuring that the messages are relayed and learning is going forward in the environment.

Monique

Monique,

Using the word standard when describing rubrics is right on target. When we help the students understand the expectations, the standards, they are more likely to achieve the learning outcomes. Nice job.

I think that the two most important things to consider when establishing a pattern of communication would include:

1.) Timeliness/frequency of communication - It is imperative that students receive timely and frequent feedback from their instructor. I respond to all emails within 24 hours and I try to check discussion posts and reply to questions daily. For students who have urgent issues, I allow the option to text me as it is the quickest form of communication and I find that most students like to either email or text me.
2.) Clear/concise guidelines for communication - In the syllabus, I like to outline what is expected when participating in discussion boards. They know how often they should post, the quality of post that is expected (with examples), and they can see me posting frequently in the boards throughout the week.

Keisha,

Timeliness, frequency and clear guidelines all lead to a pattern of communication. Also, when we develop this pattern and serve as a role model in the communication process, most students will follow suit. Thanks!

There are two parts to a pattern of communication... one is procedural the other is more of the human side.

So, first, on the procedural side we should develop a solid set of expectations, guidelines and policies. These procedures should be clear and concise. The policy should be easily understood and one should constantly strive to adhere to them fully. They might include things like when and how communication will occur, rubrics for grading of communication, etc. The student should be expected to follow them as well as the instructor.

On the other hand there is a human component to a pattern of communication. I think the first thing to consider is "Am I being balanced?" We as instructors want/need to develop a balanced approach to communicating with the student. Sometimes it's tempting to be overly kind or overly strict with the students and this can become exploitable or oppressive. When communicating you must keep a balanced approach - strong but sensitive to the student's needs, authoritative but flexible, etc. This will allow you to flex the strict side when you need to and not have the student feel oppressed, but also allow you to be altruistic without the student thinking they can walk all over you.

A second thing to consider is "Am I being fair?" We can all admit there are certain students that just rub us the wrong way and there are certain students that you take a liking to. It is important, however, to treat the students identically. So when you're establishing a pattern of communication you must make sure you are fair in your attentions to all students in quantity, quality and tone. This can be a difficult facet to your pattern because you might not recognize when you are slipping one direction or the other.

Justin,

Ah - I like your approach. There are two sides to everything they say. ;-) Thanks for your detailed input. We can all learn from your content and questions.

Hello All,
First, to consider method of technology or options of communication technology.
In addition, consider timing and pace of the course, such as start and due dates of assignments, and also make an evaluation on what students best respond to or required method of communication.
Thank you.
Kelly

Sign In to comment