Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Rubric Role

What do you think is the role of a rubric?

Just to communicate to the students to help them learn. Nothing more, nothing less

Scott,

You are right that communicating to help htem learn is an important concept of the rubric. Rubrics also help them understand what is expected and how they will be assessed. They also help reduce the number of questions instructors get from questions such as "Why did I get a B?" or "Why did you take off 10 points."

Thanks!

Rubrics are a pretty standard form for evaluation. In the classroom, they provide instructors with a tool to evaluate students work. I think this helps communicate with students what instructors will be looking for and also helps to support the intsructor when a particular grade is given.

I encourage my students to use the rubrics as a tool for themselves to double check that they have satisfied the requirements for that particular assignment.

Shelly,

Thanks again for the information and thoughts you provide through these forums. I agree that asking students to self-check before submitting work is beneficial to them and you.

I've also used it for peer evaluation. A rubric helps students understand what is expected and helps the instructor grade in a consisten fashion.

Nice job.

A rubric actually makes everyone's life easier. The student is clear what is and what is not accepted and the value it is given when correclty done. It also allows the instructor to remember clearly what and why they are grading a certain way.

Gail,

Yes, it does. A rubric helps the student know what is expected and helps the instructor grade consistently. It is important to put the learning objectives/outcomes directly into the rubric.

The student can then understand now only how to do something, but why he/she is doing it.

Thanks for your input through these forums.

Rubrics help standardize grading which can be subjective and inconsistent.

A good rubric provides a framework so that students can understand the grade that they receive. Good rubrics enhance fairness and clarity in grading.

My personal favorite writing rubric is one found on an obsolete version of the Wechsler Individual Achievement Test. Wish I could find a copy.

Virginia,

Yes, consistency is a benefit from using rubrics. And, you are right, they help the students as well. It's beneficial to use them for self- and peer-assessment. It's best to include the assignment/course objective(s) in the rubric as well.

Thanks!

A rubric provides consistency and standardization when feedback is provided. One primary advantage is that we, as instructor, won’t be forgetting about some of the components needed to measure student's work and at the same time, meeting the objectives and the requirements.

Mernoush,

You are right. Rubrics help the instructor in many ways. However, they help the students as well. They serve as guidelines for their work and help explain expectations. It is important to place objectives in the rubric so students understand why they are doing what they are doing.

Thanks again.

A rubric is a guide to help the instructor evaluate a student's work.

A rubric helps me with many things. I use a rubric when I am choosing the main competencies I'd like to see the students achieve. The rubric also helps translate the importance of the main focus of a practical exam or a project. A rubric helps clearly define expectations. The instructor understands what they are looking for and the students are clear on their focus. Rubrics make life easier and clear up any doubts or discussions about grading.

Diana,

Rubrics help guide the instructor and student. Always give the rubric to the students with the assigned project so they know what is expected and how they will be evaluated.

Thanks.

EXACTLY, Diana!

Rubrics help the instructor and the students. It's keeps the expectations clear and helps alleviate any misunderstandings on grading. It also helps the instructor be more consistent in grading.

Nice job!

Dr. Crews,
Rubrics when created objectively, are the key to assessing the students work in an effective manor. With rubrics we can standardize the evaluation process making it easier for us and the students.

Lisa,

I love rubrics. It makes everything clear for the students and the instructor. Grading is more consistent and creates a better evaluating and learning environment.

Thank you.

This helps students to follow a pattern of conduct or discipline necessary to maintain discipline in the classroom, or a pattern to follow, which govern, of course be subject to modification by the instructors according to each situation , student and context.

I think that plays an important and necessary for the proper functioning of the course, without it I do not think it would be possible to get it right

Rasiel,

Rubrics are utilized for grading, not really for a code of conduct. Can you elloborate?

Thanks!

Sign In to comment