Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Generational Roles

Why is it important to understand the role generations play in communication in the online community?

Knowing the characteristics of role generations will help pinpoint how to respond to the student effectively. For instance, "millennials" are achievers and follow rules. This generation is knowledgeable of technology which impacts how they communicate in the online community.

Diana,

Knowing your audience includes knowing about the difference generations included in the course. It's good to have strategies to communicate with all students. Nice job.

As listed in the module, a student may have certain needs or deficiencies based on their generation. In order to best motivate and ensure good communication an instructor should be aware of their students age and habits.

Thomas,

The more we understand our audience, our students, the more we can meet their generational needs. Thanks!

Because then you can raw out the most valuable information from them and help others in the class learn more about things they may have no idea about. It makes people feel important and that someone cares! YOu can draw on those strengths.

Sarah,

Haven't heard the term "raw out." :-) Just kidding! You do want to draw on their strengths and encourage students to learn from each other. We even learn from our students. Thanks!

Understanding generational differences in technology use and aptitude can help you to understand some of the difficulties students may have. Particularly baby boomers, lack of participation or ineffective communication may reflect discomfort or lack of familiarity with the technology rather than a lack of interest in the course. Also, it is good to try to draw on experiences and aptitudes that may differ generation to generation that would benefit the whole course. Asking millennial about new technologies or boomers about a historic event. I'm a gen x -er myself and love talking to the boomers about some of the movements and events we discuss but which I did not experience.

Lindsey,

Sure - you're right on target with your comments. We have to get to know our students and their generational differences (in general) to understand them more completely. The more we understand, the better we can meet their needs and help hem succeed. Nice job.

Dr. Tena:
All students deserve the same opportunities to learn and to engage and to succeed. Designing lesson plans and delivery methods that address all learning and generational types of students will help maximize student success.

It is important to understand the role that generations play in communication in the online community because it helps instructors to meet the student's learning and technology needs and provide diversified teaching methods. It also helps instructors to know how students are motivated,their strengths and weaknesses with communication capabilities.

This was a very interesting topic in the module. We always talk about the slow starters of today's generation, but I didn't transfer the information to a challenge In the classroom or an online environment. But very true. We see the challenge of the baby boomers with technology. (I'm a baby boomer but not uncomfortable with technology at all, but many are).
Our text speaks to the middle group.....darn, already forgot the name....and the need for adult involvement with tasks, but I wish it had offered some suggestions for each group. So are there any thoughts about how do we help someone adjust to group projects in the online environment, would it just be the personal call to help them connect with others or ideas of the logistics of it?

One challenge I've met with is the technology. I can do it myself but I am not able to teach someone over the phone or direct someone with the steps. I end up frustrated myself, when I've taken online courses myself, I've thankfully had a peer that could explain through conference calls to help a colleague figure out any problems that came up.

It's interesting that I signed up with this course now, because I've just finished a F2F course and this topic posed quite a roadblock, I must say, once things got mis communicated it was difficult to get back to undo it. Students didn't communicate well, and I didn't realize the seriousness of it and ignored it when I should have taken the student involved aside. Instead, it tainted any further communication between us and affected my relationship with a few others. I can understand the importance of putting things in place to prevent misunderstandings before they happen, it's very hard to pull it back.

Carol,

Glad you found the topic interesting. It sounds like you had a good peer/mentor to help you. We all need a person like that. being clear in our communication helps alleviate misunderstandings and roadblocks. Keep it up!

Patricia,

Understanding the generations simply helps us understand our students better. When we do this we can help them more successfully meet the course learning outcomes. Thanks!

Bonnie,

You are right. We have to think about quality education for all students. It should matter what generation or what learning disability they may have. Thanks for your input.

Your definitely correct about all students deserving an equal opportunity at the class and we need to understand different ways to address them so they can be successful.

Frank,

Yes, we're different as adults and we have to communicate with different people in different ways. It's the same with our students, no matter what age. Thanks!

It is important to understand the role generations play in communication in (and outside of) the online community because it helps you to effectively reach your students on a level with which they are comfortable. Finding different ways to deliver the course material that allows all generations to learn is key to maximizing student success and satisfation.

Keisha,

Good point about noting we have to expand our understanding from inside the classroom to outside as well. You're right in that's it's our goal to help students be successful. Nice job.

The psychology and ethics of an individual can be partially defined and understood by the generation they are part of (or identify with). For example, I was born in 1980 which technically falls both within Gen-X and the Millennial generation. I find that I much more strongly identify with Gen-X and exhibit many traits that are associated with the culture of that group. Knowing this, I can also identify strengths and weaknesses in my own psychology. Likewise, understanding which generations your students come from gives you a tool. That tool will help you to meet your students at their level. The Gen-X student will always be looking for value and the Millennial has trouble separating their work from their self-esteem. You can very easily criticize a Gen-X student and you'll meet a dispassionate shoulder shrug and the question "so how do I do better next time?" This gives you an opportunity to build value as an expert. The Millennial on the other hand might get hurt feelings and question why you don't like them. Therefore a positive, constructive criticism approach will be best. Helping the student to learn what they did wrong and begin to separate their self-esteem from their coursework. It can be difficult, but understanding these facets can lead to a very effective classroom.

Sign In to comment