Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Rubric Role

What do you think is the role of a rubric?

The rubric is a tool used to communicate with students about class expectations and also communicates to students instructor expectations.

Diana,

And, they help instructors as well. Don't forget that. ;-)

Thanks!

I agree with that assessment.

I have always found that the biggest value rubrics provide me as an instructor is a process that clarifies my own thinking and process regarding a potential assignment, as well as an objective point of reference for grading assignments consistently.

I remember as a new instructor having pretty high standards at the start of a grading session, and then lowering them as I was going through to reflect the difference between what I had expected, and what I received-- and then having to go back and adjust the first third's worth of papers or they would have gotten worse grades for doing better work.

That's when I realized I needed a defined set of criteria to compare to from the start.

David,

Right on. When we use rubrics as instructors, we clarify the expectations, objectives and what we think the project is all about. It helps us reflect on what we are asking the students to do. Thanks!

The rubric is a tool used to communicate with students about class expectations and also communicates to students instructor expectations and how they will be graded and what the details are. So, they understand what they will learn and what is expected from the school, instructor and the details that are often missed.

Sarah,

Excellent. We do have to make sure students understand the expectations and use the rubric to help them learn how to reach the objectives. Thanks.

Rubrics provide students a framework upfront of what is expected and also allows the instructor to give clear, informative, and consistent feedback.

Lindsey,

Rubrics, as you noted, help both the students and the instructor. How nice one tool can do both. Thanks!

Dr. Tena:
Rubrics help to unify and standardize grading.
Rubrics give students a visual criteria for
maximizing assignment points. Rubrics also help to insure that grading is fair within the group, and rubrics allow for greater assessment objectivity.

I think that the role of a rubric is as a tool for an instructor to use to design general to specific or broad to narrow guidelines for student grading criteria expectations. By providing the rubric for assignments or discussions up front to students, the students know what is expected and will base their participation on that. The instructor uses the rubric to grade all students fairly based on the established criteria.

Patricia,

Good explanation. We, as instructors, should use the rubric as a tool to develop those criteria to make sure the assessment is tied to the learning objectives. And, you're right, giving the rubric prior to the assignment is extremely beneficial to students. Thanks!

Bonnie,

And, don't forget all the student benefits of using rubrics. We want them to understand the expectations and move toward the learning outcomes. Thanks1

I think a well developed rubric serves several roles:

1. I think first , good rubrics aren't easy to develop ..they require the instructor to clarify objectives and exactly what a "mastered the objective" looks like. Then, it clarifies each step of the process and helps to focus on what is to be emphasized.

2. It helps do the same for the student, just from a different perspective. Students should be able to see exactly why the grade is what it is.

3. It provides a guide for peer editing. In class, I hear students say all the time, "no, if you want a 4 you have to add..."

4. They help the instructor prevent bias.

5. They provide feedback for improvement, they become formative assessment, not just summative.

Carol,

Your hit the nail on the head. ;-) Good things aren't always easy. That's for sure.

But, a good rubric is well-worth the effort. Thanks!

I see the rubric like a compass where it gives direction and guides, but the final destination is the instructors. I like that we can be flexible in allowing the direction to go a bit off course, yet stay on track for necessary outcomes.

Monique

Monique,

Ah - another good term to use to describe a rubric - a compass. That makes perfect sense. We all need to go "due north" at some time. Ha! ;-) Thanks for sharing.

Rubrics definitely help in the grading process, and also enforce the rules they were given for the assignment.

Frank,

And, they help both the instructor and the students. It's a great day when one tool can help everyone! ;-) Thanks again for posting in these forums.

I think the rubric plays many roles. Rubrics set guidelines for evaluating a student's work, but it also teaches. As part of a student-centered approach to assessment, rubrics can potentially help students to develop skill and understanding of how to judge the quality of their own work using the same guidelines as their instructor.

Sign In to comment