Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Technology Communication Tools

When assessing the use of technology communication tools in a virtual learning environment, what do you believe are the three most important things to consider and why?

The truth is that any use of communication outside of our internal software (phone conversations excepted) is a violation of our non fraternization clause and we are prohibited from using social media to communicate with students.

Heather,

Wow. That is interesting. Even if you set up Facebook as a private group for your students, you can't use it? Interesting.

The technology needs to not interfere with the message being communicated, help make the ability to communicate more effective and be easy to use. Why would we want anything that makes communicating more difficult or gets in the way of the message itself.

Earle,

Right. You want the technology to seem to disappear and want the students to not even realize it's there. It should be transparent. Thanks!

I have found that communicating with students via text message, instant messaging, and personal email and the best way to actually receive a response from the student. The most important thing to consider is a pro-active approach. Instead of waiting until there is a problem, I try to track if I notice a change in grade or simply a change in responding. If I get those quick responses, I know there is an issue and that allows us to determine a solution to get the student back on track.

Heather

This is a challenge when it comes to school policies. However, with the ability to create groups, this can create an environment for educational sharing. There would need to be clear disclaimers, for example, making it clear that it is up to the student to manage their own privacy settings, and that information that is not privacy protected on their profiles may be visible to other students as well as the instructor.

Heather,

Have you tried Remind 101? It's an app in which you can set up, students can sign up for and then you develop the message and send once and it is texted to all students. Time saver!

Natalie,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Every school has different policies so it would be imperative to think about this.

Nice job.

Hi Dr. Crews,

I haven't heard of that before but what a great idea! I'll keep that in mind for future classes.

Thanks!

Heather

Heather,

Super. It's good to keep learning, isn't it. What fun.

;0 Take care.

Are the tools appropriate to the course, are the appropriate to the lesson, and do the students understand how to use the tool.

Also, you must ensure that they have access to the tools. Otherwise the above three points are moot.

Instructors should ask am I using the right tool, in the right way, at the right time for the right reason.

/Randy

The three most important things to consider for me are:

-It is easy to use/navigate since not all students are tech savvy.
-It is easy to set up on my end because I would rather spend the extra time helping the students to understand the course content.
-It is free or does not cost a lot because students may not want to pay extra for communication tools.

Randy,

We do have to assess each tool and make sure it's meeting our students' needs, our needs and actually the content needs. I like your "right tool, right way, rith time, right reason." So true.

Christine,

Students do need to know how to get around in the system, where to find things and understand what they are supposed to be doing. The communication tools can be the key to success. Thanks!

When assessing the use of technology communication tools in a virtual learning environment, three things are very important considerations. (1) The instructor must be certain that the online students can perform the functions that he/she asks of them so that appropriate and effective communication can occur. (2) The instructor must be selective when it comes to deciding which functions of a technology tool might serve his/her students best and not feel an obligation to use every function. (3) The instructor would be best served by building a relationship with his/her students at the outset of the course by simply using the telephone, for example, in order to get acquainted and to learn a little something about each student's comfort zone relative to technology communication techniques. The idea here, of course, is to play as much as possible to each student's strengths.

For me, the three most important things to consider when using technology communications are:

The professor must master the tools that will be used so that they are able to assist those students who are technologically challenged. Inevitably, there will be students who just do not understand and need assistance.

In addition, the helpdesk needs to be fully knowledgeable of the specific tools that the professor will use. Sometimes, they are aware of the software package's capabilities but without a level of mastery, they are unable to help students understand their issues in the context of the class.

It is always helpful to require students to think of college as career preparation. Therefore, emails should be written as they will be in the professional world, as a means of practice. Professors should address this issue in the class and in email responses.

When assessing the use of technology communication tools in a virtual learning environment, I believe that the following three items should be considered.

1) Does the tool provide the student and instructor with the desired outcome

2) Does the tool provide for ease of understanding and usage

3) Does the tool allow for quick assistance by help desk representatives?

If the above three criteria are met then the tool will serve as an assest to the learning community.

Dr Crews,

I appreciate your description, I hadn't really considered it like this; students should feel as if the technology is transparent.

Mary,

Nice list. We all have to feed comfortable with the technology and we need to make sure it meets our needs, the studnets' needs and the content needs. Nice job.

Sign In to comment