Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Technology Communication Tools

When assessing the use of technology communication tools in a virtual learning environment, what do you believe are the three most important things to consider and why?

You need expertise in technology. Information systems people should try to evaluate real time Ethernet applications for example. Non-technical should not try to evaluate technology.

Scott,

Good point. Thre are a variety of technology skills an instructor may need. It's important to assess your own skills as an instructor and know what the students may have difficulties with so you can communicate to alleviate issues that may arise. It's good to be proactive.

Nice job.

I'm a firm believer in the KISS principle; the first question to ask in using technology is always "Is there a benefit to using it compared to other, simpler methods?" Unless, of course, you are teaching the technology involved as part of the course. Otherwise, you risk potentially throwing up roadblocks to students' grasping of the content. I'm not suggesting that technology should not be used; just that we should use it appropriately.

Don,

You are right - there is nothing wrong with KISS! Using technology should not be viewed as "the saving thing" but a way to "enhance learning." You don't have to use every technology out there, but what works for you, your students, and the course contents.

Your last statement sums it up: ". . .use it appropriately."

Thanks!

Remember that tools are only as good as the person's ability to use them.
Realizing your limitations as well as the student's limitations in using the tools.
Recognizing that the increase use of new tools, will bring greater the comfort levels.

I use KISS all the time. Love it.

We all learn to be techno savy because we have no other option.

Gail,

Also remember that not every tool has to be used and you must assess the purpose of using the tool. Continuing to try new tools to see if they meet your and your students needs is a good way to anlayze the tool. But, continue to determine if course outcomes are being met and ask students for feedback to see if the technology helped or hinder reaching the outcomes.

Thank you.

For us elderly people who remember DOS and before that, using chalk tape to take off typing errors when writing papers for university, it is dizzying to keep up with technology. I am scared of my cell phone; it gets online mysteriously- perhaps I sat on it but it deducts .5 minutes regularly.

Thus, my two cents is that 1. technology be user friendly for a wide range of ability levels,
2. work on a wide range of aged, battered and obsolete computers, 3. hire a 10 year old to show you how to use it. : ))
BFF Virginia

Virginia,

Too funny. I remember those things as well. You bring up some good points about technology being user friendly and working with a variety of people and technologies.

It is difficult to keep up with the new technologies, but it's important to find technologies that work for you and your course.

Thanks!

I consider the most important use of technology as:

1. To be in compliance with the university policy. For example, one university discourages and even considers it a violation of faculty policy if a faculty member be-friend a student in social media network.

2. Use the proper tone to ensure there is no misunderstanding between the instructor and the student (even the class)

3. Be available to respond to inquiries promptly.

Thanks

Mernoush,

Thanks for your organized thoughts. Policy is important and must be looked at carefully. Being prompt and positive in your communication is also key.

Nice job.

The three most important things to consider when using technology in a classroom are:1)subject matter-is the course you are teaching compatible with the technique you will be using? 2)student body: are the students you are instructing capable of responding visually and mentally to the techniques you will be using in your classroom ? and, 3)will your technology tools help the students comprehend the information you are trying to relay to them?

John,

Thanks for your input. You sum your thoughts up very succinctly. I likve that you use words such as "student body" instead of just your studeents. It seems to me as though the student body as the "whole package." There are many things to consider when you look at teaching at that level.

Nice job.

I think you need to consider if the technology communication tool enhanced comunicaton and learning. If so how did it help?
Is the tech. communication tool to challanging for the students usage?
You would want to evaluate the students suggestions on how the instructor used the tool as well. Gather the assesment information on the tech. comm. tool and relect on its effectiveness and make changes based on the feedback received from students.

Lisa,

You are right on target. These are good questions and you definitely should get student input about how the technology was used, whether it was helpful, etc.

Thanks for adding to the conversation in this forum.

I believe there are many things to take into consideration. I believe subject matter is very important. There are some subjects that don't translate well via virtual learning. I also believe it's important to have a good understanding of the course goals and guidelines. Is it possible to achieve the necessary results and will students benefit from technology that is utilized. Finally, I believe the teacher should have a reasnable understanding of the range of abilities students possess. Transitional or non-traditional students may require more support than the student who has been exposed to virtual learning. There has to be a balance for both students, which is always a challenge because most times, the student body is quite diverse.

Don,
What is the KISS principle? I have never heard of KISS.

Lisa,

I always heard it was Keep It Simple Stupid. . .but to be kind, Keep It Simple Silly.

Sign In to comment