Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

How do they know what they need?

This is the first time I've managed a learning program in an online environment. It has been very challenging trying to seperate what students need between academics and technology. When they say they don't understand something we have to ensure whther they are referring to the topic and content itself, or the way in which it is being delivered. Because the student is not right in front of us to see whether the knowledge connection is taking place, we have to dig deeper for knowledge acquisition. It has been a challenge and because we do not use testing it adds an even deeper dynamic.

Cheryl,

You are right on target. Teaching online and developing a communication strategy/process to identify what students don't understand is essential. It's also a good idea to do some type of diagnostic assessment at the beginning of the course to identify what technologies they may have problems with and/or identify what they already know about the content. Both will help you determine what technologies to use or what you'll need to provide to them for support and determine how quickly/slowly you may have to cover content.

Nice job!

Cheryl,

I agree with you 100% It is sometimes difficult to discern what our students are referring to. It is important to lay out a requirement for specificity at the start of the course, and to follow up when the response is ambiguous.

The most difficult situation occurs when most of your students are proficient with computers while others are not. Then, you need to give instruction on how to operate and navigate the technology as well. However, if you don't take this time, the students that are lacking the technical knowledge may not do well in the course and/or may drop out.

Lack of computer knowledge does not equate to lack of knowledge, and that is a distinction you need to make with your students. They need to feel like they can make it.

Jessica

Jessica,

Thank you to adding to Cheryl's conversation. You are so right about the technology skills. The students not only come with different content knowledge, but experience and skills using technology.

Taking time to help everyone succeed is important. Thank you.

i find that it takes time for students that are new to e-learning, they must trasnsition from using the computer as a social tool or toy to a learning tool.

John,

You are correct. As instructors model how to use technology as a learning tool, students will begin to identify many different ways to use the same tool.

Thanks!

Cheryl,

I agree that it is important to be specific when laying out the requirements of a course. However, I have noticed that even in being specific, to some students it may still not be clear. I have also in may instances included specific examples so that it would be clear as to what assignment entails.

So it seems that some students will need a bit more specialized instructions in order to fully understand some requirements of of the class or assignments.

It has been said that communication within an online classroom environment is most effective when the intent of the message is clearly expressed by the instructor. However, what is clear to us as instructors, may not ncessarily be clear to everyone else.

Alfretta

Alfretta,

You both bring up important points. Nice job. Helping students understand the expectations and providing key instructions and feedback is essential. Thanks!

In my class the students use online courses that are supported with lecture and lab at the campus so we dont use interactive media between Instructor and student , but I like the idea of using e-mail as a tool for a posible tutoring aspect when they are off campus to answer questions when they are doing online courses , I think I may introduce that aspect,

Greg,

It's good you have that lecture/lab support. Email can get overloaded, so I find it effective using the FAQ discussion board first. Just a suggestions. Thanks for your input.

Interesting response. However, is the diagnostic assessment the responsibility of the Instructor? I was under the impression that online students are assessed once they are enrolled in the online enviroment, specifically in student orientation which would identify potential problems. What is your suggestions for developing an assessment?

Hi John,
I agree with you, but my frustration oftentimes is that no matter how many announcements, chats or phone calls that are listed and pursued in the class, the students still do not read the information that is at their fingertips, they do not attend the chats, nor do they respond to phone calls. How do you handle something like this?

Tina,

Well, some institutions may do some type of diagnostic assessment prior to students enrolling in online courses, but mine does not. Those that do typically do these assessments to see if they will be successful (or are likely to be) in the online environment. But, you may still want to do a diagnostic assessment on what they know about the course content so that you can determine how quickly or slowly you may need to cover or uncover the material.

Tina,

When students email or chat with me and ask me a question and the information is right in front of them, I refer them to that section of the syllabus, tutorial, page number or whatever. I don't tell them right them, but direct them to the source.

Cheryl:
I totally agree with your posting.
The challenges I have had is that the students claim that equipment is not working properly, etc.
Within the time frame of presenting the coursework and (in my class) exercises which are very time-consuming, it is difficult to manage the issue.

Julia and Cheryl,

Thanks for continuing the conversation. There are challenges we have to deal with and we need to think about those management workload strategies that can help us. Thanks for your input.

Sign In to comment