Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Guest Lecturer

I have never used or seen a guest lecturer used. What are some strategies for incentivizing a guest to come lecture or answer questions on a topic. I think we could benefit from using guest lectures to illustrate different expressions the technical skillset we teach, but what does it look like when you use this learning tool? I would have a hard time not feeling like I was having them do my job, how do you view it?

If the guest lecturer is an expert in the field, the opportunity to participate in a lecture could be seen as a compliment, and the opportunity  to promote their unique knowledge with a new generation of learners.  We are in the final stages of developing our on-line learning courses (continuing education for those in our field - marine mammal training) and have a guest lecturer who is a scientist in the field.  We plan to either video a lecture of hers or possibly have a live chat discussion as well.  However, this is a relatively small field and we have close connections with the guest lecturers we are inviting.  In a sense, you are right - during the guest lecture / chat, they ARE the instructor, and the students get the benefit of a different perspective, of one working in a specific related field.

Sign In to comment