Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

motivating

most student have alot of personal issues going on alot of these student get motivation by just coming to class and doing the activities in class

Hi Laura,

I could not agree with you more! There are many times students are unable to check their personal issues at the door. These drag into the class and typically drags down the demeanor of all the students. The best way I have found to handle this is to acknowledge the student, empathize with them, but ask for them to re-focus their attention to the class, and for them to look at their goals for being at school. Whatever their problem is shouldn't allow them to lose that focus.

Andrew,
Good points. It is hard to refocus students when their personal lives are their priority. Stay persistent with them and focusing on school and their goals should help.
Philip Campbell

Motivation is a factor at our campus , we would like to think that students come here for the right reasons , to get an education and to become successfull in nthe future , but sometimes it doesn't work that way , we have to find ways to keep them interested and focused on each day that they are here and make it fun and keep reminding them Why they are here .

I am struggling with motivating students. There are many reasons and I do think the student's personal lives get in the way but somedays I wonder why the students are even in class. I have been teaching for a long time and I have never seen such a lack of personal responsibility and motivation. It is like they have no curiosity. They never come prepared for class, rarely ask thoughtful questions and really don't seem to care...they just want to get through the class (with a passing grade of course!)

Keri,
Let's take a look at the class. Also take to some of your peers. Students should want to attend because if they don't they should feel like they are going to miss something. Look at your class structure and try to turn it upside down. Do a search for a flipped classroom and start to explore new ways for motivating students.
Philip Campbell

Sign In to comment