Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

General Strategies for Student Retention

This course was a great advice on getting and keeping great retention.

I agree. I will use this in my class

Paul,
Great to hear this. If the content helps to keep one student in the program it is worth all of time and effort required related to student retention.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Joseph,
I wish you continued teaching success as a result of using this information.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I have enjoyed the reinforcement and applicability of the strategies highlighted in the course. I have also enjoyed the format, as it mirrors the ideal format for learn-apply-learn-apply.

Jon

i think the hardest skill is to learn students names. You meet 22 students once a week for 90 minutes, and have to place a name with a face.

I have seen instructors give name tags to hang on the displays, which seems kind of impersonal, but maybe less so than not knowing their names at all.

I was already doing a good amount of this without knowing why. Maybe it was residual from having great teachers myself

It was very helpful to go through this module. I try to learn the names of all my students and try to remember personal information they might have shared becuase I feel this creates a bond. I also encourage them to learn each other's names. I found that it helps to learn names in small groups. Our sessions are longer (270-300 minutes) and our classes smaller (20-25). I try to associate 5 names with faces from taking roll the first day, then 5 more names in the second hour of class and so on. By the end of the first day (or worse case scenario first week) I am able to remember everyone.

Sign In to comment