Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

pop quiz

can a pop quiz be added any time during the class time or first thing in the morning.

Planning and design

Is there some thing to help gauge your time mangement for certain lessons or games.

The Use of Apps

What are some Apps that you find helpful in teaching Hospitality? How do you ntegrate them in your courses? Interesting minds would like to know. ;)

Adjusting Weighting of Test Sections

Sometime I notice patterns after I have graded a stack of tests. It might be that students did particularly poorly on the TF, or on the Multiple Choice. I will do an evaluation by listing scores with intended weighting, then reworking the scores as if the point values of test sections were realligned.  There is no definite pattern as to when or if a particular section appears to have been more problematic, but sometimes this does occur.  On a recent exam, just about every student made more errors on the MC than on the TF. I ended up reducing the… >>>

Unexperienced students

I teach an ADN course for an accelerated program and have found that there is almost always 1-2 students who have no health care background at all. This is frustrating not only for me but also for the other students, since it tends to bog down class time with explaining things that for the most part should have been known or experienced prior to them entering the program.  I try to give these students more time in tutoring, but I also think that the choice to attend an accelerated program may not have been best for them. Since I don't… >>>

Who is your audience?

When looking at my audience I look at my group diversly, so that I can meet the needs of all who are there. Usually I'll have a group betweeb 18-35 with a total of 9 and the 10th individual being my 50 year old. Because the age bracket is different I speak to them all at the same time on the same level as not to make my elder student fill left out. Looking at my audience being from different geopgraphic backgrounds also helps for me to better explain certain topics. 

Adaptive LEarning

This section explains what were many somewhat enigmatic mindsets to those who have taught in the conventional classroom.

Gamification

I really like the idea of students natural ability to compete.  I also enjoy having fun in class so this is a technique I will definitely use. 

Gamification

I never knew that gamification can be used in an online environment. I will start to use some of this theory in my class. 

Personlized Learning

I have not heard of personlized learning. Is there any references on this subject. 

Thanks 

Class/instructional need for teachers

Once a course is built with included tutorial help, I assume the class can, then be used at numerous campuses. This would mean the instrcutional need would be much less as one instructor could teach the class at multiple campuses.

Question about implementing adaptive learning in course content?

I believe we all use adaptive learning in teaching online courses.

How have all of you made sure that you have incorporated adaptive learning into course content if it is 

not already there? 

Thanks,

Kelly

New Technology

There are new resources available with our instructional book tha can allow students to take quizzes on-line before class, track their time on on-line resources etc.  Has anyone used these new features such as Learn Smart or Course Smart etc.?  How well do they help the students prepare for class?

Techniques and Training

My Techniques are what they are. Training for each day is important to and not just the student but for us aswell. 

Adaptive learning in remedial English courses

My students and I have access to companion adapative learning technology tool for our courses but it is not user friendly for either student or teacher. Have any of you implemented self designed adaptive learning in remedial English courses? If so what apps did you find helpful to use for adult learners? Are there costs to you or your institution for using these tools?

Adaptive Learning

Hello All, 

Do you think that adaptive learning is applicable to the Baby Boom generation or are they hesitent to this type of learning because of the technology focus? 

Susanne 

Standards?

Does this type of learning rely to heavily on the entertainment component rather than on subject matter mastery?

Computer vs class

One of the issues I see here is using computer/adaptive learning in large part because students are not well prepared for higher education. Why not use this method in grade and high school rather than waiting for post secondary?

Adaptive Learners

Does anyone have any good books on this subject that are more up to date?

Say in the last 5 years?

Creating precise test reviews

Haveing clear and precise test reviews will give our students the proper tools to be successful