Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Direct Learning. Epic fail!

I was in grade school during the 1970's. I remember being given the direct learning for English grammar in the 5th grade. The intent was that all grammar topics from sentance structure to punctuation, verbs nouns, etc... were broken down into indevidual "laerning modules". The teacher gave a brief lesson then the student were allowed to take the module and do the learning assignments. The intent was that student would progress at their own pace. I can tell you that at the age of 10 I couldn't care lass about learning grammer. I was allowed to simply not move on. There… >>>

Lesson planning software or web portals

Greetings all,

I've been researching lesson planning software, templates and web portals for a while now and have yet to hit upon a satisfactory solution. Anyone have a favorite they would like to share and why?

Thanks in advance!!

Adult Learners

Why are adult learners so diffrent from high school students?

Adaptive Learning in Healthcare/ Medical courses and exams

Adaptive learning exams have already been developed where the difficulty level of an exam is tailored according to the student performance during the exam. If a student attempts a "medium difficulty" question successfully, he/ she will be given a harder question to test him for the next level of knowledge. A traditional exam is a mix of mostly medium, some hard and some difficult questions and all students have to attempt the same number of question. Suppose an exam is made of 100 questions but in an adaptive learning exam, a student does 560 hard questions correctly, we have achieved… >>>

adaptive learning in culinary

We could move the lecture material to the adaptive model and have more time to work on lab based instruction.

Job Announcements

Job announcements do not appear to be reflecting the points made in this course of instruction. For example, adaptive is used as follows: Working Conditions:  Mental Demands/Physical Demands/Environmental Factors: Move small stacks of textbooks, media equipment, desks, and other classroom or adaptive equipment. In other words, being able to implement adaptive learning is not part of the job -- it is not a topic for consideration.

Extra Credit

The module thoroughly addressed appropriate ways to offer extra credit assignments.

Lesson Planning

Never thought there was so much in preparing a lesson

Adaptive Learning and Dental Hygiene

I am interested in finding ways to use Adaptive Learning while training students in a specific skill set. How do you think this can be accomplished?

Online vs. Adaptive Learning

How does adaptive learning differ from a well planned on line course?

How do you keep students within a time frame for a course?

What about students who just want to goof off?

Office Mix

MS-Office has an add-on called Office Mix.  This can be used to make PowerPoint interactive.  Below is a link that explain Office Mix in detail.

https://mix.office.com/watch/atzf2r2ulc2o?play

How to prepare enough material?

As a new instructor, I'm finding my biggest challenge is being able to come up with constructive ways of using class time. Generally, I have 3 or 4 days per subject with about 3 hours to fill each day. Since I am teaching at a vocational college, the subject matter to be covered is fairly limited. That means I run out of things to say by the second day. Any advice for coming up with lesson plans that will cover all of my allotted time?

Motivated Students

Among students who are motivated and committed to attaining an education, what are the significant problems that adaptive learning may solve?

Can gamefication be overused

Can gameification be over used

Training Systems Engineers

I wonder what training System Engineers will need to be effective in the adaptive learning environment.

Loosing the personal touch

I wonder how students feel about loosing the personal touch

How have you gotten faculty to collaborate on adaptive learning?

With many faculty "owning" the syllabus (or the curriculum team), how do various schools engage the full slate of teaching faculty to adopt adaptive learning? What have been some success stories - especially where there is high utilization of adjunct faculty?

RIck

Adaptive Learning

Is this a fad?  Is adaptive learning being used just because of technology?

Adaptive learning in Culinary Arts

I would like to integrate adaptive learning in Culinary Arts labs. I've had success with forums - students discussing ideas - but how can I use adaptive learning elsewhere?

Adaptive learning in Culinary School

Since culinary school is very hands on and the classes rely on moving students through the curriculum at an accelerated pace in order to finish within the alotted time, how can adaptive learning be implimented here in order to avoid students falling behind?